Requisition ID: 5370
Location: Newcastle, GB
Contract Type: Open Ended
Working Pattern: Shift Work
Posted Date: 30-Oct-2020
We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £21,814 - £25,217 per annum, plus shift allowance of £3,741.80
Closing Date: 26 November 2020
To assist the Security Management Team, in the provision of a customer focused security service to the University community. The role includes the day to day supervision of a security team(s) to undertake security monitoring, surveillance, recording and reporting on campus and in Halls of Residence protecting both people and property . The role is highly customer focused dealing with students, staff, contractors and the general public. You will also be expected, in some instances, to be the first person on the scene in emergent situations. There may be some increased risks to personal safety due to role i.e. dealing with offenders or whilst in attendance at emergency situations (fire, flood, spillages and structural damage).
Newcastle University has vacancies for two Security Supervisors to join its in-house security management team. The role of the security supervisor is to provide operational supervision of a security team in the provision of a 24/7 Security service to staff, students, visitors and the general public whilst on campus or in Halls of Residence. You will be expected to be customer focused and have excellent communication and supervisory skills to protect and support the university community and estate. The role operates on a 12 hour rotational shift system to provide 24 hour service. There may be a requirement to work overtime to ensure an effective and efficient Security service.
Enquires about the roles can be obtained from Shed Coulthard, Head of Security email@example.com or by telephone 0191 208 6435. All applications are to be submitted on line.
- To assist the Team Leader with the management of a security team ensuring continuity of service provision. This will include, but is not limited to, assisting with scheduling of staff; management of sickness absence; identification of training needs and, when necessary, full cover for the Team Leader role
- To provide a first response to any calls for emergency assistance and deal with any emergent situation; issuing instructions to Security Officers as necessary. When on ground patrol the Security Supervisor will take command of the situation where appropriate in the first instance
- Regular patrolling of University property reporting (both orally and in writing) any damage or breaches of security as necessary in order to prevent, detect and reduce the incidence of crime within University property
- Ensuring the effective monitoring, and control, of the University CCTV and BWV System in accordance with the University CCTV Code of Practice
- To regulate the movement of traffic to and from University premises, including car parks, and carry out due process to fairly and impartially apply the University Parking Regulations; providing guidance to Security Officers when necessary
- To regularly act as first point of contact for students, staff and visitors ensuring that all possible assistance is given in a courteous and customer focused manner that reflects the best image of the University
- Promotion of security awareness by offering crime prevention advice to staff and students and visitors in accordance with Security guidelines
- Answering out of hours calls to the University switchboard and, where necessary, using the electronic directory in order to provide an out of hours service to any telephone enquiries relating to University business and student wellbeing
- Where necessary, alter work schedule to cover for colleagues in other security teams to ensure continuity of service in their absence, this may require working overtime in agreement with line manager
- Undertake other duties consistent with the post as reasonably requested
- Required to work shifts in order to maintain 24/7 cover
- Required to work some overtime in agreement with line manager
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Have a working knowledge of offences, and powers of arrest, GDPR, Human Rights and Health and Safety legislation pertaining to the provision of a customer focused security service
- A working knowledge of IT systems including Microsoft Office to input and retrieve information to inform management decision making
- Experience of working in a fast paced customer focused environment delivering a security service to service level agreements.
- Vocational experience in a security related role
- Good conflict management and negotiation skills
- Experience in managing people to deliver a service to service level agreement/standard levels
Attributes and Behaviour
- The ability to take responsibility, and remain calm, during emergent situations in the first instance
- Uses clear, concise and accurate communication, tailoring the approach accordingly and encouraging a two way communication process
- Good interpersonal, and communication, skills
- To use personal initiative when responding to incidents and making front line decisions pending intervention by senior management
- To make decisions on routine HR issues but will seek advice and guidance on more complex matters
- To works collaboratively with others, taking a positive role in teams and establishes and grows relationships across the organisation where different skills, expertise and opinions are valued
- Hold a current Door Supervisor licence or be prepared to achieve one within your probation period (six months)
- Hold a managerial qualification at level 3 or be prepared to work towards it within the first 12 months of service
- Hold a current First Aid at Work certificate or be prepared to achieve it within your probation period (six months)
- Hold a full UK driving licence (manual)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5370