Navy Command Headquarters, Whale Island, Portsmouth, P02 8BY
This post offers applicants with experience of risk reporting environments an excellent opportunity to work with Project Teams across Defence in a high-profile team to support strategic risk management, data analysis and to contribute to important investment decisions across the Ministry of Defence. The successful applicant will primarily ensure that Front Line Commands have a better understanding of value for money, risk, their cost base and affordability.
The post holder will analyse and advise on risk (both financial and non-financial) that may impact on the Programme’s customers and the Cost Assurance and Analysis Service (CAAS) Head Office & Navy Command Programme, adopting acknowledged good practice.
About CAAS – Part of the Ministry of Defence
CAAS has a proud heritage which dates back over 100 years to World War One when it was formed to prevent the munitions industry from overcharging the Government. The complexities of equipment procurement forced the government at the time to recruit its own technical cost accountants into the Civil Service, to advise commercial colleagues what non-competed contract prices should be paid to industry. This continues to be at the heart of CAAS today.
The successful candidate will:
- Demonstrate experience of supporting projects and programmes of work to successful delivery.
- Demonstrate experience of monitoring programmes with the ability to systematically identify and monitor risks and issues, planning how to mitigate and respond.
- Demonstrate working knowledge of implementing risk management process including risk identification, assessment and treatment.
- Use their proven experience of modelling, option theory, Monte-Carlo simulation techniques and stress testing.
- Provide expertise in structured quantitative and qualitative analytical approaches in tackling issues and tasks, together with strong evidence of good attention to detail.
- Be a highly organised and strong team player.
- Possess strong numerical and data analytics capabilities.
- Have experience in managing relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, in order to ensure good working relations and negotiated deliverables.
- Good written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Work across multiple projects and be responsible for ensuring all quality standards are maintained from brief to project completion
- Support the development and improvement of pan-Defence capabilities
The following competencies and technical skills would be desirable:
- Experience of conceptually developing complex models.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft applications, especially Excel and Access including VBA
- Experience using Risk Analysis tools eg: @Risk or similar
- Intermediate to strong knowledge of specialist IT systems and software, especially Oracle SQL and MicroStrategy.
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming languages and mathematical modelling software.Use practitioner knowledge of specialist IT systems and software, especially Oracle SQL, Power BI and Micro-Strategy.
Civil Service pension schemes may be available for successful candidates. These offer highly competitive rates and benefits.
- Professional and Personal development of skills tailored to the individual
- An environment with flexible working options
- 25 days paid annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- In addition to the above annual leave, you will receive 8 public holidays per year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave.
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Gym and / or site shops
For further information please click on apply