IT Network Engineer - FTC - 6 Months
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world's most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don't you join some of the world's finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
An experienced network engineer is required to be part of a busy, challenging Network Operations team responsible for the day to day support, monitoring, management and enhancements to QinetiQ's corporate WAN / LAN / Voice networks within the UK and abroad.Troubleshooting and resolving both customer and infrastructure issues that arise using monitoring and logging tools available to them. An element of work is aligned to assist with the implementation of project based network configuration tasks, working fromdesigns supplied by our Network Architects. The engineer is required to adhere to QinetiQ standards and best practices.
Out of hours work and on-call is required at times to maintain and minimize the risk of outages to business systems.
This role is based at Farnborough site.
- Writing technical documention
- Be disciplined, organised and self-motivated
- Diagnosing and resolving hardware issues
- Providing support for QinetiQ user base
- Liaising with 3rd party suppliers to resolve faults
- Use of monitoring systems to identify potential issues
- Monitoring, troubleshooting and escalating network faults
- Proactively working to update and process tickets within our system
- Creates and contributes to design & development documentation
- Adapts to tackle complex solutions and is eager to learn new skills
- Self-motivated with good time management
- Communicates confidently with team members, business analysts, customers and other stakeholders
- Troubleshooting complex Firewall and network issues
- Comfortable working with a complex network infrastructure
- Layer 3 switching
- OSPF / BGP
- Software Defined Networking
- Network Security concepts
- Firewall ACL's
Experience and Qualifications
- SC Cleared
- Cisco ASA firewalls / Nexus switches / Switches
- CCNA (Routing and switching / Security) or working towards
- Ability to build and maintain good working relationships both internally and externally
- Analytical problem solver
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Desire and motivation to learn and ability to advance skill level
- Ability to multitask and prioritise workload
- Flexibility and ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Writing technical documentation
- This role will suit someone who is a self-starter and has the right attitude to learn and move forward.
- Maintain internal SLA's
- VMWare NSX / Software Defined Networking
- F5 Big-IP
- Palo Alto
For further information and to apply, please click on the apply button.