Chief Reporter - LancsLive
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a newsroom full of talented, self-driven journalists. You will be able to deliver compelling content that engages with our audience across a wide range of online platforms.
We are looking for someone with not only first class digital and social media skills but also a good communicator who can get into the heart of our communities bringing in exclusive stories and investigations which matter to our readers.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
- Telling stories through pictures, video, audio, live blogs and other interactive digital storytelling tools, using innovative techniques that grow audiences and engagement
- Taking a 'right-first-time' approach to all content and have a pedantic attitude to accuracy
- Identifying breaking news by utilising social media as a way to quickly establish further factual information that will support stories
- Using a range of digital formats that will enhance coverage and increase brand visibility
- Providing live coverage of news and events for live blogs and breaking news as required
- Writing content responsively, driven by analytics to deliver on audience trends
- Taking responsibility for a content theme such as a geographic area, campaign or another area of interest, as directed
- Effectively build strong contacts for story-gathering in local communities
- Taking on extra responsibility when dictated by the rota.
- Act as a mentor in the newsroom, helping to develop other reporters
- Deputise as a publisher in the absence of the editor
- Be a senior editorial ambassador for the brand as required
The Ideal Candidate
You're an experienced journalist ready to take on a senior position in the newsroom. You can demonstrate strong content management skills and digital publishing knowledge, as well as some experience of or potential for managing, leading and inspiring a team.
You'll hold a Reach Plc or equivalent journalist qualification or time served experience, and you'll understand editorial strategy and brand values. You possess the art of telling a story and also hold good digital publishing skills and an understanding of social media (both finding content and sharing it).
You're a fantastic communicator, you're creative, you work well within a team and you are able to organise your schedule and manage your own workload. You have up to date knowledge of media law and IPSO code and a flexible approach to shifts.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at yourrecruitment@reachplc. com