DIO Town Planner
The Town Planners role is to act as a Defence Subject Matter Expert (SME) for the full range of Ministry of Defence (MOD) Town Planning matters, supporting the provision of robust written and verbal town planning advice, guidance and technical inputs to DIO Service Delivery, Projects, Land Management Services (LMS) staff and to military customers.
The position is based at DIO Sutton Coldfield.
DIO adopt a smarter working policy: The post holder would be based out of the main office location but has the flexibility to work out of other DIO Offices. All employees are provided with IT equipment to facilitate smarter working.
The role involves contributing to the development and delivery of a consistent approach to town planning matters across the defence state including:
• The application of best practice, knowledge and understanding of planning legislation both within the UK and overseas.
• Provision of strategic advice and technical inputs to major projects and programmes, including site disposals, operational development and land use planning strategies.
• Advising MOD on the potential planning impacts of external proposals.
• Commissioning, managing and assessing the quality of technical proposals and outputs from external consultants.
• The management, development and submission of planning applications on behalf of MOD.
• Representation of MOD interests in external town planning processes including Local Plans and appeals; assurance and negotiations in relation to developer contributions and legal agreements.
• Influencing and developing town planning policy.
The role also provides:
• SME support and input to elements of: Freedom of Information Requests, Environmental Information Request, Media and Comms briefs, Lines to take and Ministerial Briefs concerning Town planning and related matters.
• Supporting liaison with MOD client organisations and the management of external stakeholder relations including regulatory authorities and Other Government Departments (OGDs).
Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis and some visits may involve overnight stays. Some sites are difficult to access via public transport.
About our Team
The DIO is the MoD's expert adviser and enabler on infrastructure matters. It is tasked with equipping Defence with a significantly smaller more efficient, better quality estate.
The Estates Division brings together the Acquisitions and Disposal, Land Management Services, Projects, Safeguarding, Planning, Accommodation Optimisation and Byelaws teams. It helps underpin MOD's operational capability by delivering a comprehensive, strategic and uniquely varied estate surveying service in support of Military outputs, both in the UK and Overseas
Acquisitions and Disposals (A&D)
Acquisitions and Disposals is the in-house service delivery team responsible for accelerating the delivery of capital receipts from all DIO assets disposals through a cross functional programme management approach
DIO is part of the Ministry of Defence (MOD). We play a vital role in supporting Defence by leading and managing the delivery of what the Armed Forces need to live, work, train and deploy on operations. Under the Future DIO Transformation Programme, DIO will become the MOD's professional estate services business and realise our organisational vision of providing a better estate, a better service and a better business.