Health & Safety Manager
Health and Safety Manager
Boulby Underground Laboratory
£38,318 - £42,576 (with some elevation for exceptional candidates)
Fixed term (3 years)
The Boulby Underground Laboratory is the UK’s deep underground science facility located in the North-East of England. The laboratory is an internationally important multi-disciplinary deep underground science facility hosting a wide range of science studies from astrophysics (the search for Dark Matter) to studies of geology, geophysics, life in extreme environments on Earth and beyond. The facility consists of a large 4000m^3 fully-stocked and supported clean room experimental space, located 1.1 km below the surface, a 3000m^3 Outside Experimentation Area (OEA) in a nearby mine road way, and a surface administration/support building for facility staff and users. The facility is operated by the Science and Technology Facilities Council (a partner organisation within UK Research and Innovation - UKRI), with strong support from the Boulby mine operators ICL-UK. The facility is formally part of the STFC National Laboratories and the staff are members of the STFC Particle Physics Department (PPD).
About the role
The Boulby facility has a small, highly motivated and hard-working team who collectively cover a wide range of facility responsibilities. As the Boulby Facility H&S Manager, you will be a key member of the team, working alongside the existing facility director, manager and wider team to develop, manage and oversee the H&S systems governing operations and science conducted by the facility. The responsibilities of the post will include taking a lead in local considerations of H&S systems for current and future science studies, some in the laboratory, some outside and some involving new excavation and engineering work (using external contractors). Responsibilities will also include managing H&S systems for the wider science support work of the facility as a whole.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Facility Health and Safety Systems Development, Management and Oversight
- Develop and maintain the H&S governance and management systems for the facility and science-based operations associated with the laboratory – meeting all the requirements and standards of both the mine and STFC
- Assist and advise facility team and science users in developing new H&S management materials for new facility and science operations and in updating materials and content for existing operations and projects
- Develop and maintain systems for oversight of adherence to H&S systems of team member and science users
- Develop and maintain systems for facility H&S systems review and incident and near miss reporting
- Develop and maintain systems for team and science user H&S training. Provide general and specific H&S training and advice for facility team and science users
- Maintain regular and good communication with H&S department of both the mine owners (ICL), STFC and collaborating universities/research institutions (as required).
For any informal inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will have up to date Health and Safety training e.g. IOSH and NEBOSH certification.
You will be educated to degree level in a Science, Engineering or Technology discipline and/or have substantial experience in a H&S advisory role, implementing H&S systems and controls.
You will have strong organisational skills with the ability to employ organisational systems to manage complex or varied operations.
It is essential that you have excellent team and leadership skills, to be able to lead in the facility teams’ collective responsibility for managing and supervising the H&S or projects, operations and visiting workers on site.
You will have the ability to prepare and deliver engaging and effective face to face H&S training as well as reports or briefing papers for Facility Managers, Departmental Head and STFC, where necessary.
What we offer
UK Research and Innovation recognises and values employees as individuals and aim to provide a pay and rewards package that motivates staff to perform to the best of their ability. The reward package includes a flexible working scheme, a Career Average Revalued Earnings pension scheme, 30 days annual leave allowance and a number of other benefits.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please click the apply button. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The closing date for applications is 24th November 2019.