Biology Services Team Leader
We are looking for an experienced team leader with a strong scientific background (BSc qualified or equivalent experience) to ensure the effective delivery of a range of biology services across our pharmaceutical client site in Stevenage. Reporting into the Scientific & Technical Services Manager, the successful candidate will manage all activities relating to service delivery including line management of a large biology team, safety and compliance issues, customer engagement and service improvement. Services include but are not limited to media prep, cell culture, molecular biology work and assay support.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to help grow and develop these services in the future.
- To manage a team in the overall provision and delivery of a high quality biology support service to site.
- To assist in the recruitment process of qualified personnel into the TLS Laboratory Support team and to carry out suitable induction and training programme.
- To ensure safe operation of any equipment used (e.g., safety cabinets, incubators, ph meters, autoclaves).
- To generate SOPs/work instructions/local method statements/risk assessments where necessary. Ascertain any relevant quality, skill or safety requirements.
- To train and manage the team as the technical lead in a wide range of team activities which may include:
- Preparation of sterile media & reagents
- Cell culture support - including specialised cell culture methodology, aseptic techniques, sub culturing, harvesting and plating
- Virus amplification and titration
- Performing Molecular Biology related tasks (e.g., PCR support, competent cell production, plasmid preps)
- Isolation/storage of PBMCs and other blood cells from whole blood
- Ordering of reagents/laboratory stocks through Stockboss/CERPs
- Accurate reporting of all information including use of eLNBs
- To liaise with customers groups to discuss their requirements, agree protocols for new tasks, understand the practical and theoretical requirements of new activities and to ensure the competency of staff undertaking those tasks. Escalation to line manager as required.
- To ensure timely and accurate reporting of data including performance metrics.