Power Systems Researcher
Company: Invenia Labs Limited
Job title: Power Systems Researcher
Salary: £40,000 - £70,000 plus benefits, depending on experience
Posting date for applications: 11 October 2019
Closing date for applications: 8 November 2019
Due to anticipated growth, this role will be open to more than one successful candidate.
Please apply if you are innovative and ambitious individual who wants to help build an organization that makes a positive global impact on society and the environment.
Invenia Labs is looking for Power Systems Researchers who have a deep knowledge of modern power systems, their operations, control, and economics, to join a growing research and development team in Cambridge, UK. Our Power Systems Researchers work closely with our Machine Learning Research Scientists and Research Engineers and use their domain specific knowledge and insights to improve our understanding of all aspects of power systems, and to improve their efficiency. From creating experiments and prototyping implementations to testing and deploying promising ideas quickly and safely, our researchers work on real-world problems with a focus on understanding and improving the efficiency of electricity grids. They are also active in the wider research community by partnering with universities, publishing research papers, and attending conferences.
Main duties and job responsibilities
- Collaborate with other research scientists and share domain specific knowledge to guide research and modelling choices.
- Analyse relevant data and communicate results in the form of discussions and reports to other team members.
- Present research clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, for internal and external use as appropriate.
- Develop well organised and documented code for individual projects or general use as necessary.
- Collaborate with and maintain relationships with external research labs, publish research papers and attend conferences.
- Keep up with the literature in the academic domain.
Mandatory qualifications, skills and experience
- Studying towards or holds MSc/PhD in Power Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent experience in power system operations, control, and economics.
- Expertise and/or detailed knowledge in one or more of the following areas: theory and implementation of large scale power grid simulations and optimization, and forecasting of load, generation, and renewables.
- Deep understanding of the driving factors of non-stationary day-ahead and real-time power system planning and operations, and their interactions.
- Knowledge of the operations of power grids, RTOs, ISOs in America and globally.
- Experience with statistical data modeling, probabilistic models, numerical methods, and optimization techniques.
- Expertise in the Julia programming language.
- Good coding skills and knowledge of scientific computing concepts and methods.
Apply for Power Systems Researcher
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly