Assistant Accountant - Capital Projects
Assistant Accountant - Capital Projects
Capital Programme & Procurement Finance Manager
(Depending on Skills and Experience) - Plus benefits and bonus
CiP / Bonus
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave 25 days
- Personal Pension Plan - Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On - scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
To ensure that there is meaningful financial reporting, including Key Performance Information, for the Capital Programme teams, driving financial due diligence and providing support and challenge around financial performance.
Capital Programme Annual Budget: GBP170 million p.a.
1. You will process and review financial transactions to ensure that costs are correctly treated in the accounting systems, following relevant procedures. Process any necessary cost transfers, including, contractual rate adjustments and time allocation for external resource.
2. You will support the month end financial processes for relevant business areas including:- preparation of journals, preparation of balance sheet reconciliations, creation of settlement rules and communication with the appropriate business representatives.
3. Help us produce monthly performance reports, understanding the important messages and providing relevant insight to the business to guide and support decision making.
4. You will be a trusted partner to Sub Programme Managers and SMT for Support Areas (Portfolio Management Office, Design and Alliance Operations), holding regular reviews of financial performance, and work together to improve compliance.
5. Attend and provide the financial performance results in the monthly programme reviews (some travel will be required).
6. Investigate us analyse cost data to ensure that costs are correctly treated following accounting policies and the contractual requirements of UKPN's ED1SON Alliance.
7. Challenge, and provide support for, the forecasting of project costs to promote improvements, such that the appropriate level of funding can be secured by the treasury department, and wider decisions can be made based on forecast information. Also ensure that this information is fed back into the Asset Portfolio Plan (APP) to ensure that the APP is based on up to date information.
8. You will assist with the production of annual budgets, and quarterly forecasts, collaborating with financial planning and the operational business to ensure that budgets and forecasts are based on sound knowledge.
9. Provide support and prepare necessary information to assist the preparation of appropriate tables to help produce the Regulatory returns.
10. Identify opportunities and areas for attention & recommend options for action - including areas of cost reduction, investigating and understanding key variances to budgets and helping us implement any improvements needed for a recovery plan
11. Participate in monthly programme reviews, providing robust challenge to forecasts, and ensuring that essential information is understood and notified to relevant partners.
12. You will ensure that SAP processes have been applied correctly when the business have built projects, work orders so that costs flow correctly through to the accounting systems and are treated following UKPN policies.
13. Complete monthly reconciliations between SAP and Primavera P6, and ensure any corrections are made, to ensure that costs are consistent.
14. Help us prepare data for inclusion in monthly Operational Performance Report.
NATURE AND SCOPE:
The Capital Programme, Procurement finance team is led by the Finance Lead - Capital Programme, Procurement & ED1SON Alliance, who reports to the Head of Business Partnering.
As Assistant Accountant - Capital Projects, the job holder works closely with the Sub Programme teams in Capital Programme & Procurement to ensure that costs are recorded following accounting policies. They will prepare and post financial transactions completing journal vouchers, journal logs and balance sheet reconciliations for review by the Finance Manager.
The job holder prepares reports including the monthly Management Accounts pack and Job Cost reports as well as feeding into the Operational Performance Report. However, these reports are subject to review from the Finance Manager or Accountant before publication.
The job holder is required to represent finance at the monthly sub programme reviews, where project performance is reviewed and forecasts are prepared. They are required to provide financial scrutiny to the data, help develop solutions, and subsequently raise any areas of concern to the Finance Manager.
The principal challenge of this role is the requirement to work collaboratively with the operational business, providing support, but being able to challenge the business. Therefore, you will need to be prepared to have difficult conversations with the business at times, although where resolution cannot be found, you can defer these decisions to the Accountant or Finance Manager.
You will also need to work under limited supervision, and whilst the role has structure to it, and support is available from both the Accountant and Finance Manager, they are likely to be required to respond quickly to questions raised by the business.
You will also responsible for providing accounting support to some of the Support Functions in CPP (Design/Portfolio Management Office), and therefore is required to communicate with the Senior Managers for these areas.
You will be asked to travel across UK Power Networks Locations.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- The job holder is the equivalent of a part-qualified accountant, but with sufficient experience to partner with more senior members of the organisation.
- Experience working with both financial and non-financial staff would be beneficial.
- Good IT skills, particularly MS Excel (can perform complex functions) - SAP experience is required
- Can work on their own initiative to achieve required outputs.
- Full driving licence and access to a car essential.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees will ensure they understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees will understand those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt, ask!
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.