Laboratory Technician/ Molecular Biology Scientist
You will report to the Senior Molecular Biology Scientist and alongside the NGS team. The team are responsible for carrying high-throughput next generation sequencing service for our clients. You will be responsible for receiving and preparing DNA/RNA samples for NGS analysis and ensuring compliance with regulatory and quality standards. It is a full-time permanent position with a 6-month probation period in the first instance. Essential to this role is a strong work ethic, attention to detail and commitment to following best practice.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Inventory, accessioning, and tracking of incoming samples into the lab via a LIMS system.
- Registration, preparation and analysis of samples as required.
- Adhering to documented procedures for all aspects of laboratory work, ensuring that all relevant information concerning samples is recorded, that samples are handled correctly, and that all necessary records and quality data are maintained.
- To accurately register and process samples for NGS analysis within defined time-frames.
- Perform routine laboratory maintenance activities, including ordering & receiving supplies, maintaining consumable inventories and updating instrument usage logbooks.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Postgraduate degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, biotechnology or similar subject is required, with a minimum of one-year laboratory experience.
- Strong teamwork ethic and the commitment to successfully deliver to tight deadlines is essential.
- High accuracy and attention to detail are a must for both laboratory and office-based work
- A strong and open communication skills is essential.
- Fluent operating Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel and PowerPoint is essential.
- Experience of using Laboratory information management systems (LIMS) is advantageous.
- Experience in PCR, qPCR and Illumina Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)-based analysis is advantageous.
- Experience within a contract research organization, university core facility or clinical laboratory is advantageous.
- Experience of working within an ISO17025 environment is advantageous.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK
Who Are We?
The Novogene UK Genomic Sequencing Centre is solely owed by Novogene UK Co. Ltd., one of the oversea subsidiaries of Novogene (). Novogene is a leading provider of genomic services and solutions with cutting edge NGS and bioinformatics expertise and the largest sequencing capacity in the world*. The company has become a world-leader in NGS services, with 1,800 employees and multiple locations across the globe. Novogene's depth of experience has resulted in the ownership of 49 NGS-related patents, as well as the publishing of over 1850 customer*research papers, often in well-respected publications such as Nature and Science.
The Novogene UK Genomic Sequencing Centre established at the Babraham Research Campus () in Cambridge in May 2018. The Centre is equipped with the latest Illumina NovaSeq 6000 sequencers, supercomputing platforms and a full automation system is due to be installed shortly. The establishment of the Centre enables Novogene to provide cutting-edge next-generation sequencing and bioinformatics services and solutions to scientists at European universities, research institutes, pharmaceutical companies, and biotechnology companies.