Charity Shops Area Manager - up to £30,000 per annum
Full Time: 37.5 hours including Saturdays
Driving is essential
Closing date 31st Oct
The Hillingdon, Slough, Windsor, Kingston & District Branch of the RSPCA, like all other RSPCA branches, is a separately registered charity and is responsible for its own fundraising. Annually, the Branch helps over 12,000 animals in need in the local area by:
- Providing veterinary care for the pets of the economically disadvantaged
- Finding new and loving homes for abandoned and abused animals
- Promoting responsible pet ownership through neutering, microchipping and primary healthcare schemes
The policy of the Hillingdon, Slough, Windsor, Kingston & District Branch of the RSPCA is to never turn an animal away, but this comes at a high cost to the Branch – the annual running costs are around £1,000,000.
The Branch runs the RSPCA Hillingdon Clinic; has a kennels and cattery and an active rehoming section and also provides facilities for RSPCA Inspectors, Animal Welfare Officers (AWOs) and Animal Collection Officers (ACOs). To help fund the provision of these services, the Branch runs five charity shops and has an active Friends of the Branch, who organise fundraising events.
We currently have four Charity Shops in Ashford, Cippenham, Denham and Hillingdon. The post will be based in Hillingdon and will require travelling between the shops. The main responsibilities of the role will be to ensure consistent high standards of operation and customer service across the Branch Charity Shops, to promote the Charity Shops within the local area and to maximise turnover and profitability. The postholder will be responsible for recruiting, training and retaining Charity Shop staff and volunteers and for ensuring an efficient rota system. In addition, the postholder will be responsible for identifying, the business case, setting up and resourcing additional Charity Shop outlets within the Branch area.
The Branch Trustees on a day to day basis.
Charity Shop Managers
Charity Shop Operatives
Charity Shop Drivers
- Strong management of a team of staff and numerous volunteers, including duty rotas and organising appropriate staff cover according to operational needs. This is likely to include providing cover personally when needed.
- To write, implement and review specific operational procedures. Regularly review these procedures and communicate changes to all staff, monitoring their implementation.
- To be responsible for the training of staff in operational procedures and ensure compliance.
- To assist with the recruitment and selection of staff as required.
- To be responsible for the recruitment, training and retention of volunteers.
- To be responsible for the induction training of new staff in line with Branch policy.
- To monitor new staff during the 3 months probation period and carry out 3 assessment interviews.
- Hold monthly one to one meeting`s with your staff. Records of this should be kept on file with actions and achievement targets.
- Highlight training needs and assist with that training and ensure that your line Manager is aware of any specific training needs, recommending training courses.
- To undertake annual appraisal interviews according to the Branch policy, review Job Descriptions and Performance Indicators.
- To maintain and organise a highly efficient and motivated charity shop team seeking continual improvement in service delivered and individual personal development.
- Ensure all staff follow the Branch HR policies
- To coordinate an annual leave rota
- Ensure that Charity Shops are open for their advertised opening days/times
- Research, promote and impart best practice in customer service to Charity Shop staff and volunteers.
- Liaise with Trustees, and the RSPCA HQ Charity Shops division ensuring effective communication.
- Instigate, implement and run a schedule of routine visits, and checking procedures to all Branch Charity Shop premises with the purpose of monitoring aspects such as turnover, profitability, cash handling, appearance of shop, Health & Safety, customer service, staff and volunteer performance. Recommend improvements and implement approved changes.
- To be responsible for the Health & Safety risk assessments of the Charity Shops.
- After 12 months to be responsible for identifying, producing the business case, setting up and resourcing additional Charity Shop outlets within the Branch area.
- Undertake other duties as operational needs demand.
- Ensure that sufficient stock levels are achieved, including rotation of stock across the shops as necessary.
- Stock generation and distribution as required
Finance and Administration
- To identify and implement growth opportunities to maximise Charity Shops turnover and profitability to meet financial objectives set.
- To implement and run a Gift Aid system with the Shops.
- To analyse weekly sales figures and submit a monthly Shops Report 72 hours prior to the Branch Committee meeting and be available to attend meetings as required.
- To be responsible for your own health and safety and that of your colleagues in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and any relevant EU directives, including any health and safety hazards you immediately become aware of.
- To work in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
- Good general level of education, at least to A level standard or equivalent.
- Any Managerial qualification or appropriate membership of a professional body.
- Knowledge of RSPCA policies and procedures (training will be provided)
- Knowledge of Branch policies and procedures (training will be provided)
- Knowledge of Health & Safety legislation and policies that apply to this role
- Knowledge of employment law
- Computer literate
- Knowledge of project management principles
- Significant retail experience over several years.
- Experience in managing staff and volunteers.
- Experience of working or volunteering in a charity shop environment.
- Experience of setting up new operations, outlets or shops.
- Full, clean driving license and ability to drive a van
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good planning and organising skills
- Open and involving approach to working with other people
- Excellent team working skills
- Ability to negotiate and persuade effectively
- Ability to prioritise and manage working time effectively
- Self motivating and conscientious approach to work.
- Flexible approach to work, to cover other duties as required
- Ability to be flexible when working with Trustees, willing to seek compromise rather than the “perfect solution”.
The contents of this Job Description may be altered in consultation with the Job Holder
Closing date is 31st October
Please click apply to send CV
Apply for Area Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly