Autism Support Worker
Are you looking for a challenge and an opportunity to make a real difference to children with autism?
We're recruiting for x3 Autism Support Workers, to work with students with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD).
We have one mobile role which will cover all of our secondary bases (Quorn, Mountsorrel and Charley), one role based in Mountsorrel and one role based at Charley.
At Woodside Lodge Outdoor Learning Centre, where AUTISM is our first language, we're looking for an Autism Support Worker, to work with our 11-19 year old students.
We're looking for an experienced and passionate individual, with proven experience of helping to support, develop and progress children with autism to fulfil their academic and pastoral potential.
To be considered for this role you must possess the following personal attributes, skills, qualifications and experience:
- Common sense
- An ability to manage ambiguity
- Agility to adapt to changing student needs
- An ability to build rapport & trust quickly with both students & staff
- An ability to communicate with staff and students alike, in order to best impact on academic, and overall, attainment.
- An openness and optimistic outlook towards change
- An ability to perform in situations of high pressure, showing not only theoretical understanding, but also ‘real-life’ understanding of both autism and behavioural difficulties
- A minimum of 1 years’ experience developing and supporting children with an ASD
- Full comprehension of Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE) information and protocol, as well as all safeguarding issues.
- An understanding of a variety of behaviour management techniques, with a focus on resolution management followed by developmental reflection.
- An aptitude to work in partnership with a number of professionals, as well as parents/carers.
- Experience of working outside of the conventional classroom and embrace outdoor learning, in line with the ethos of the school.
Skills & Qualifications
- A knowledge of, and up to date qualifications in, the safe handling of students (Team Teach).
- Competent in administering first aid.
- Autism Level 1&2 preferred
- GCSE Maths & English
Key Responsibilities (including but not limited to)
- Where leading sessions, responsibility for planning schemes of work/session plans for students
- Responsibility for providing proactive support in lessons, where needed, taking instruction from the subject teacher to best progress the academic achievement of the student within the session.
- Responsibility for contributing ideas for staff meetings, focussed on the overall student progression and improvement of the base.
- Responsibility for having a thorough awareness of the targets of each child with whom you come into contact, by seeking out most recent IEP/IBP.
- responsibility for the transportation of students between Woodside Lodge OLC’s different bases.
- Responsibility for building strong relationships with all students, in order to work with them at all levels of emotional difficulty.
- Responsibility for being the first on the scene when children reach crisis point, prioritising negotiation skills and talk to de-escalate, before consideration of safe handling to reach calm.
- Responsibility to contribute to activities to ensure the base is in the best order possible and remains a safe and stimulating work environment.
- Responsibility for embedding of positive attitudes towards education, in conjunction with all other professionals at the school.
- Responsibility for being a champion and advocate for Woodside Lodge OLC, ensuring positive personal communication to all stakeholders.
- Responsibility for providing lunchtime cover
- Responsibility for the timely completion of teacher assessment logs and student progress sheets
All roles are subject to the following eligibility criteria
- Proof of address
- Two satisfactory references
- A completed application form (attached)
- Verification of your identity and right to work in the UK
- Confirmation of your teacher registration number (if applicable)
- A satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring (DBS) check.
- Verification of all listed qualifications
- Proof of vehicular business insurance
- Proof of a valid driving license
- Access to a personal, roadworthy vehicle
- Personal mobile phone, to use for business communication
- Completion of a pre-employment medical questionnaire
Please complete and return the application form to apply for the role.
Apply for Autism Support Worker
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly