Environmental Health Manager
Environmental Health Manager
Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, (mix of home and office based, with some travel within North Hertfordshire)
North Hertfordshire is a large rural district with approximately 125,000 residents with four historic towns - Hitchin, Baldock, Royston and Letchworth Garden City. We have a clear vision for the area: to make North Hertfordshire a vibrant place for people to live, work and prosper.
We are now looking for an Environmental Health Manager to join us and play a vital role in delivering regulatory services to the North Hertfordshire community.
- Competitive, public sector salary
- Car allowance (£3,000 per annum)
- Local Government Pension Scheme (18% employer contribution)
- Generous annual leave, including Christmas close down period
- Occupational sick pay
- Free car parking
- Discounts, including 50% off gym membership
- Flexible working options including flexi scheme and home-working
If you are an effective and qualified environmental health professional with significant management skills, this is the perfect opportunity to progress your career with our outstanding district council.
You will discover a progressive and exciting local authority environment where you can have a real impact and drive forward processes, best practice and thinking to ensure we can deliver a comprehensive service to our community.
We focus on learning, growing and professional development and offer chances to train and undertake vocational study as well as reimbursing professional subscriptions where relevant.
What’s more, we are dedicated to promoting a healthy work/life balance and making each member of our team feel that they are making a difference to the local community and are valued by our organisation.
As the Environmental Health Manager, you will be tasked with the overall management and delivery of environmental health regulatory services across North Hertfordshire.
Specifically, you will be involved in food safety, public health, health & safety, private sector housing, and environmental protection. Delivering cost effective services, you will manage a range of projects with the Environmental Protection and Housing Manager and the Commercial Team Manager.
Additionally, your role will involve:
- Developing and promoting the vision for the role of the environmental health service
- Protecting and promoting public health and quality of life in North Hertfordshire
- Overseeing the management of the Commercial and Environmental Protection Teams
- Managing the service by undertaking wider environmental health initiatives
- Ensuring all required policies, strategies, procedures and plans meet legislative requirements, best practice and strategic aims
- Developing performance targets and producing reliable and accurate performance data
- Working and liaising with neighbouring local authorities and external agencies
- Deputising for the Service Director: Regulatory
- Leading the environmental health elements for business continuity and emergency planning
- Managing and, as part of a rota, participating in our out of hours noise service
To be considered as the Environmental Health Manager, you will need:
- Substantial experience of the delivery of a range of environmental health services such as food safety, environmental protection or private sector housing
- Proven experience of managing and developing a team of staff and managers
- Expert knowledge and professional capability in the field of environmental health
- Experience of strategy or policy development and the presentation of reports at committee level
- Excellent IT skills, including MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- A Chartered Institute of Environmental Health recognised diploma, ideally degree, in Environmental Health
- Registration with the Environmental Health Registration Board
- The ability to demonstrate eligibility for Chartered Membership of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- Attainment of the CIEH Assessment of Professional Competence (including deemed compliance via grandfather rights)
Other organisations may call this role Environment Manager, SHE Manager, SHEQ Manager, Safety, Health & Environment Manager, Local Government Environment Manager, Senior SHE Advisor, or Senior SHE Officer.
To apply for the role of Environmental Health Manager, you will need to select the apply button and complete our online application form using our secure web recruitment tool.
Please note that we do not accept CV applications, either on their own or accompanying application forms. Therefore, please ensure that all relevant information is provided on the application form.
As a Council committed to equality and diversity, we welcome applications from all sections of the community. Disabled people who meet the person specification will be guaranteed an interview.