If you're a talented, creative, motivated and ambitious reporter brimming with great ideas then Surrey Live wants to hear from you!
Are you just as comfortable covering court and inquests as you are writing a review of a new restaurant? Can you pull together a listicle on what makes our county so great in the morning, and then do a Facebook live from a breaking news incident that afternoon?
We are looking for someone who works quickly and accurately under pressure, is obsessed with brilliant digital storytelling, is able to bring in their own stories because they love breaking exclusives, and is determined to make a name for themselves in the industry.
Working with us you'll be covering the whole of Surrey - a huge, great and varied area. The successful candidate will write content for Surrey Live, with their stories also appearing in the Surrey Advertiser, Surrey Mirror and Dorking and Leatherhead Advertiser.
This is an exciting opportunity where you would be joining a newsroom full of talented, self-driven journalists. Our reporters work as part of a tight-knit team and are encouraged to be creative and also to head out of the office whenever possible.
The successful candidate will work a four-day compressed week.
If you are invited to interview, please come full of story ideas and examples of work which show what a talented and creative journalist you are.
- Deliver high-quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content
- Identify the biggest issues impacting people living in Surrey and report on them in a way which engages and drives digital audience
- Provide live coverage of news events for blogs and broadcast
- Shoot video, audio and take pictures when out on jobs
- Source third-party and social content
- Use search analytics to identify digital audience and content trends
- Build strong contacts for story gathering within local communities across Surrey
- Be active and adept on social media to build audiences and communities and ensure that content is shared on social platforms
- Take responsibility for a content theme such as a geographic area, campaign or other area of interest, as directed
The Ideal Candidate
- An NCTJ-accredited journalism qualification or similar, including 100 words per minute shorthand
- Thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and industry guidelines
- An understanding of all the storytelling requirements of a digital newsroom including SEO and social media
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written
- Brilliant ideas for engaging and shareable content
- Some experience shooting and editing video
- Some knowledge of Surrey
- A full driving licence, preferably with access to a car
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, discounted gym membership, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.