Research Chemist required, based in North Cheshire. Requiring experience in synthesis and characterisation of organic chemical or polymer products. Minimum HNC in Chemistry, degree preferred. Graduate with industrial experience will be considered.
Title: Research Chemist
Location: North Cheshire
Salary: GBP29,000 per annum + benefits
SRG is working with a small but specialised team who develop additive technology for the polymer and plastics industry, as part of a well-known chemicals company. Now in an important phase of succession-planning, they are looking for a Research Chemist to join the team to support new additive development projects. This would be an excellent opportunity for someone who has hands-on experience of organic synthesis and characterisation - perhaps you have recently graduated and have a year or two of industrial experience? Alternatively, you may have spent a number of years in an industrial R&D role, synthesising and characterising organic or polymer materials? If so, get in touch!
Benefits: Highly respected company with a great reputation and an excellent record of employee development. 36 working hours, 8am-4pm Monday to Friday with some flexibility on start and finish times. 26 days holiday as standard plus 8 statutory days. Option to take 5 extra days or a cash bonus in lieu. Enhanced pension scheme, annual company bonus and private healthcare.
Role / Description
- Supporting projects to develop new additives for polymerisation and plastic production processes
- Designing and conducting lab-based organic synthesis to add to and improve the additive portfolio
- Characterising additives for evaluation, including the sue of GC, HPLC and GPC
- Developing new experimental techniques to improve quality, yield and variety of additive products
- Developing analytical methods for characterisation of new additives
- Analysing, recording and reporting on results
- Providing technical support for trials and scale up at pilot and production scale
- Supporting sales team and customers with technical queries and problem-solving
- Minimum HNC in Chemistry, Polymer Science or similar (degree preferred or equivalent experience)
- Hands-on, industrial experience of organic synthesis and characterisation techniques
- Self-motivation and good work ethic
- Able to generate ideas and collaborate with peers
- Strong appreciation of health & safety
If you would like to apply for this position, please use the link provided. Alternatively please email a copy of your CV to For more information regarding this position or any others, please call Faye on
If you have a scientific background and this position is not relevant / suitable for you, please feel free to get in touch or visit to view our other vacancies.
SRG is the UK's number one recruitment company specialising in the scientific, engineering, clinical, pharmaceutical, food/FMCG, energy & renewables, biotech, chemical and medical device sectors.
As scientists ourselves, our specialist sector knowledge and our passion are second to none. It's this combination that makes us different. We're committed to providing outstanding temporary, contract and permanent career opportunities of all levels for our candidates and a comprehensive range of expert strategic recruitment services for our clients.
Keywords: chemistry, polymer, additive, technology, plastic, polymerisation, synthesis, synthetic chemistry, organic, characterisation, laboratory, research, development, R&D, HNC, HND, degree, BSc, MChem, MSc, graduate,