Digital Sports Journalist
- Full Time
We are looking for an experienced, knowledgeable and passionate sports journalist, looking to add to the ECHO's coverage of Everton, Liverpool and other Merseyside sport. In this role, you will be working closely with a talented team of editors and journalists, looking to enhance and engage our audience for Reach PLC, and help the ECHO continue to stand out in a burgeoning market.
Reach PLC has the largest network of Regional sport websites in the UK, with dedicated daily coverage of more than 50 of the 92 clubs in the Premier League and Football League.
We are the go-to platforms for millions of fans every single day, writing, filming and podcasting about the issues supporters care about - including at the Liverpool ECHO.
- Generate ideas and content creation on a daily basis, as well as helping the Sports Audience Editors implement the publication's short, medium and long-term strategy.
- Create content designed to reach and engage with the intended audience in what is a developing base
- Work closely with colleagues to drive largest possible audience
- Use search and social analytics platforms to determine content choices and distribution
- Build and use contacts to deliver breaking news and other stories.
- Treat content as more than just rumours and quotes pieces - consider how we can add value to stories through analysis, reporting and opinion.
- Look beyond traditional covering of football and initiate new ways of storytelling for a growing audience
- Produce evergreen content that will bring consistent audience to the site month on month
- Be agile in writing about multiple topics and stories across the day, where audience determines
- Take a creative approach to covering transfer stories, manager quotes and injury news
- Assist with long-term planning and produce content ahead of major events
- Use analytics and data intelligence to guide your own content production
- Build publication's brand, but also personal brand among the online community, to make you a must-read and must-watch contributor
- Proactively building an engaged online community who will return to us day in, day out
- Work in a variety of roles including liveblogs, early and late reporting, matchday reporting and content editing
The Ideal Candidate
- The ideal candidate will have excellent communication skills and good experience of newsroom working.
- They will also have an excellent grasp of audience data.
- Will be used to working to tight deadlines and can show an awareness around the demands of content publishing.
- An enthusiastic self-starter who is keen to put their stamp on the conversation around Merseyside sport
- Recognises and understands the global appeal of Everton and Liverpool Football Club, and how best to serve that in terms of content.
- Real interest in football data and the different methods of telling a story around it.
- Desire to tell stories
- Excellent story-telling techniques
- Enhanced social media skills
- Understanding of how to make content engaging
- Ability to tell stories through words, pictures, video and audio
- Creativity and innovation
- Working knowledge of analytics
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc has a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, discounted gym membership, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.