Lifestyle and Travel Reporter
Daily Star Online is seeking a Lifestyle and Travel Reporter to join our team at one of Britain's fastest growing national newspaper websites. We are looking for dynamic all-rounders capable of working to tight deadlines in our busy, integrated newsroom.
As a candidate, the ability to write fun, entertaining and shareable stories is a must. Producing emotive and longer form features is also necessary.
Those who are social media savvy and are able to turn their hand to every type of news will stand a greater chance of success.
Above all else, we want imaginative and enthusiastic journalists who are brimming with ideas. The ability to pitch original content and engaging exclusives is paramount.
Experience on the nationals and/or in a digital news environment would be useful, as would local/regional newspaper or agency experience. NCTJ qualification or equivalent also preferred.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a rapidly expanding digital news operation in our new London HQ.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, OK! & New! Magazines and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
- The successful candidate will produce engaging stories every day - this includes real life, love & sex and fashion content
- You will show an understanding of the website's key content and quickly develop a feel for the stories which work best for our readers
- Use your contacts to pull in exclusive interviews and features
- Push content via Facebook and Twitter in accordance with the digital social media policy
- Optimise stories in accordance with the digital SEO strategy
- Write and edit in accordance with the digital house style
- Read competitor sites and form a thorough knowledge of the content which works best for Daily Star Online
- Monitor news wires and social media for content
The Ideal Candidate
- You will be a qualified and experienced journalist, possessing at least 18 months' experience at a national or major regional title
- You must be passionate about delivering a wide range of stories, from emotive real life pieces to shareable, fun content
- You will understand what works for a digital audience and deliver content to prove this
- You must have sound legal knowledge, with first class editing, writing and subbing skills. You will relish the daily challenge of working under pressure and to tight deadlines
- The successful candidate must be flexible as this role will involve working shifts on a rota basis
- You will be social media savvy with current SEO knowledge. Experience of a CMS and Chartbeat or Google Analytics is desirable.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at