Clifton Suspension Bridge - Bridge Attendant
6 days left
- Full Time
The purpose of this role is to provide a quality 24/7 customer service to bridge users by providing information, resolving problems and dealing with traffic flow, particularly in the event that the weight limit of a vehicle would be exceeded. Job holders deal with technical issues with barriers and machines, and are based in the Toll booths, but are required to patrol the bridge regularly during every shift, working outdoors in all weathers.
The role will also require the job holder to communicate sensitively, and frequently (mostly during a night shift) with vulnerable or distressed people and handover the situation to the emergency services on their arrival.
- Be the first point of contact for road users and visitors, assisting with problems in an efficient and courteous manner;
- Monitor the CCTV cameras, weighbridge and lighting and report any issues and take action as required ;
- Monitor the use of the toll machines and barriers and be visible during busy times to assist the road users and ensure an efficient flow of traffic;
- Monitor the movement of vehicles across the bridge to ensure loading conditions stay within acceptable limits;
- Maintain a high profile by regularly patrolling the bridge and greeting the members of public. Be able to note and report maintenance requirements and any health and safety issues;
- Handling of cash – manage a float for change purposes, deal with credit card transactions and collect cash payments if required;
- Carry out basic maintenance tasks on a regular basis such as litter picking, changing toll barrier arms and other minor tasks if required. Be able to spread de-icing material when required using a manual spreader and sit-on snow plough;
- Deliver excellent customer service and be willing to go the extra mile to assist users and visitors;
- Provide temporary traffic and pedestrian controls when required and be able to deal with crowds of people;
- Be able to drive the company van to move cash boxes and associated paperwork on a daily basis and for job related tasks as required by the Office Manager/Bridge Master;
- To follow and work in line with the Trust’s policies , procedures and guidelines;
- To undertake overtime covering colleagues absence, holidays etc. May be requested to cover unplanned absences, subject to the job holder’s availability;
- Be able to interact with, listen to, and where possible, help encourage any vulnerable person, in distress on the bridge, to move from a position of danger. To deal with emergency services and provide written detailed reports on the incident. (Further guidance is provided in the Trust’s Operational procedures in dealing with vulnerable people); and
- Carry out other such duties as may be reasonably required by the Office Manager or Bridge Master.
Skills, Qualifications and Personal attributes (Required)
- Basic IT skills including Microsoft Office.
- Experience of dealing with vulnerable people; is a good listener, approachable and understanding.
- Previous customer care experience and dealing with members of the public
- Excellent verbal communication skills - with experience of communicating with members of the public including vulnerable people
- Good written skills: Has clear handwriting. Has experience of writing factual reports. Has a GCSE qualification in English or equivalent.
- Able to resolve problems that arise, e.g. broken barriers, small maintenance problems etc.
- Good numeracy and literacy skills – GCSE in Maths and English or equivalent
- DBS Certification, updated on a regular basis (will be provided by the Trust)
- Courteous, friendly with a can do attitude. Is able to work under own initiative as well as be a team player. Be able to respond to change positively.
- Full Clean Driving Licence
- The job holder must be capable of regularly patrolling the bridge and lifting heavy coin boxes.
- Negotiation skills / Safe Intervention Training (can be given on recruitment)
- Security experience
- Experience of monitoring CCTV
Apply for Clifton Suspension Bridge - Bridge Attendant
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly