Building Conservation Officer Part Time (Contract)
1 day left
- Part Time
Building Conservation Officer – Part Time (Contract)
If you have a background in building conservation and want to help preserve one of the UK’s most outstanding landscapes, this is an incredible opportunity to take on a rewarding contract as a Building Conservation Officer.
We are the Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority, an organisation that protects, enhances and promotes the immense beauty, wildlife and character of the Yorkshire Dales.
Set against expansive heather moorland tops, each valley has its own distinct charm, from crags and pavements to an underground labyrinth of caves.
The National Park is a home and workplace for over 24,000 people, as well as stone-built villages, large country houses and humble cottages. Our historic built environment forms a central part of our cultural heritage and our sense of national identify, so it is imperative they are conserved and enhanced to be enjoyed for generations to come.
We are now looking for a Building Conservation Officer to join our Historic Environment team on a part time basis for a fixed-term contract until the 31st July 2021.
- Salary of £22,462 - £28,786 per annum pro rata
- Government pension
- Flexible working
- Employee discounts on various goods and services
- Cycle to work scheme
This is an amazing opportunity to help people conserve, enhance and bring back into use the most important historical sites, buildings and structures in the National Park.
You will have the chance to work with a like-minded team who share your passion for conservation and enjoy unforgettable office views on a daily basis.
So, if you want to help conserve and work in a renowned part of the country that is adored, explored and enjoyed by many, we want to hear from you.
As a Building Conservation Officer, you will help to promote and implement the conservation and enhancement of the Yorkshire Dales National Park’s special built environment.
In this important role, you will:
- Provide technical support and guidance to landowners, Natural England and other partners on historic built environment issues, particularly regarding traditional farm buildings
- Work to reduce the number of buildings identified as ‘At Risk’
- Respond to formal consultations, recommending management, repair and maintenance techniques
- Carry out research, condition surveys and analysis for historic buildings
- Update appraisals for existing conservation areas
To join us as our Building Conservation Officer, you will need:
- Significant building conservation experience
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, particularly the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990, and associated planning guidance relating to the historic environment
- Knowledge of traditional building design, materials and construction
- Good IT skills, particularly MS Office, HBSMR and QGIS
- The ability to interpret building plans, drawings, photographs, maps and historic records
- A degree or equivalent in Building Conservation, Heritage Management or a related discipline, or full Membership of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation
- A full driving licence
Ideally, you will also have experience of historic building surveys and managing building conservation works and projects, including drawing up project briefs and working with volunteers.
Other organisations may call this role Conservation Officer, Historic Conservation Officer, Historic Environment Officer, Heritage & Conservation Advisor, or Historic Building Conservation Officer.
This is a part time role, working 18.5 hours per week.
The closing date for applications is noon on Monday 14th October 2019, with interviews scheduled to be held the week commencing the 21st October 2019.
Webrecruit and Yorkshire Dales National Park Authority are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you are seeking an engaging contract as a Building Conservation Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.