We have an extensive network of 18 manufacturing facilities in the UK, employing approximately 1,900 people.
We are a leading manufacturer of a diverse and trusted range of concrete and clay building products used extensively within the construction sector, with instantly recognisable brands such as Thermalite blocks, London Brick, Ecostock, Cradley, Formpave and Jetfloor, Bison Precast.
Our product range comprises of clay bricks, Thermalite blocks, aggregate blocks, Red Bank chimney, roofing and flue systems, precast concrete and flooring products and Formpave permeable paving.
Forterra represents exactly what we do and have always done. Our purpose is to manufacture products that are the essential to the nation’s construction sector, helping our customers build with ease and confidence. Moreover, we continue to lead our industry in terms of standards and safety.
We are currently looking for an enthusiastic individual to join our team in the position of PCC Facades (Special Projects) Team Leader at Somercotes.
A key position on site, this person will be the manufacturing lead for Pre-Cast Facades providing effective support to site management in ensuring Safety (priority), Quality, Cost, Delivery and People measures are consistently met, and often exceeded. They will manage a ‘facades discipline’ dedicated team, and be responsible for all production stages including adherence to and accountable for quality standards at pre-pour and post-pour stages; ensuring that any remedial work is undertaken to the required standard/s and not negatively impact on client delivery dates. They will manage the team and provide a positive influence towards all employees, ensuring efficient labour utilisation, and be an active driver of continuous improvement activities in the workplace.
- Safety – ensure that safety is always paramount, and that no risks are taken. Procedures and Risk Assessments must be kept up to date and relevant, and trained out to the workforce. Operators must be buddied up with experienced Ops and fully understand the SOP’s and RA’s, and be signed off prior to working on the task without supervision. Ensure all Operators are working to the required standards and systems put in place. Accidents, incidents and hazard spots should be reported immediately, and actions put in place to prevent reoccurrence.
- Housekeeping – ensure the shop floor and all other related areas are kept clean and tidy, using a ‘clean as you go’ approach to ensure the safety of yourself and your colleagues. The Team Leader must constantly audit housekeeping to ensure accountability is met.
- Quality – Monitor product quality and react appropriately to ensure sub-standard product is quarantined and/or rejected, and any reoccurrence of non-quality is prevented. Identify improvements that can be made, implement them, and ensure they are sustained.
- Costs – ensure minimal raw material and consumable wastage, challenge and improve where required. Ensure all tools and equipment provided are maintained to the correct standard.
- Delivery – Report accurately and in a timely manner, any issues to management. Plan ahead to ensure production schedules are met, and highlight early where they may be at risk.
- Continuous Improvement – To drive, with the support of management where necessary, a culture of continuous improvement of all activities within the work area. Support new product developments.
- People – ensure labour is allocated appropriately across site. Ensure cross-functional skills across team to maximise this. Where externally provided training courses are desirable, raise to management.
- Experience of working in a pre-cast environment is essential
- Educated to college level (desirable), or other suitable work experience
- IOSH Managing Safely
- Risk Assessment training, in line with HSE regulations
This is a Blue Octopus Recruitment Ltd vacancy who are operating as an employment agency. Once you have clicked to apply for this vacancy, we will then send you more information on the role including a copy of the application form via email.