Laboratory Manager for Cereal Quality
3 days left
- Full Time
We are looking for an enthusiastic, organised and practically minded applicant for a Laboratory Manager vacancy that will be based in our new laboratories at Park Farm, Impington, Cambridge. This role will manage the day-to-day delivery of cereal quality testing using biochemical methods.
The main duties for this role include hands-on testing of samples, collating and validating data and reporting results to customers. Supervision and training of staff, organising calibration and servicing of equipment are also an important part of the role.
The essential requirements are:
- A good honours degree in a relevant subject along with at least 5 years of laboratory experience in a relevant subject such as analytical or biochemistry and 1 to 2 years laboratory management including staff management.
- Have a flexible approach to work and be a good team worker with excellent problem solving, communication and organisational skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team; have the ability to organise, supervise and motivate staff as well as manage all laboratory resources.
- Accuracy, consistency of approach and a keen eye for detail.
- Ability to cope with high workloads, changing priorities, and seasonal pressures.
- Ability to make impartial and independent decisions, and to handle confidential information appropriately.
Experience in analytical chemistry and/or a grain quality lab with a high throughput of grain samples is highly desirable and experience of the following techniques; NIR spectroscopy; oil analysis by NMR; Nitrogen analysis by Dumas; HPLC; GC chromatography would be desirable. An understanding of agricultural variety trials and trial programs would be an advantage.
The starting salary will be in the range of £24,404 to £32,199, dependent on skills, experience and qualifications.
For more information and to apply, please visit the NIAB vacancies page. Please ensure you quote the job reference on your application.
Closing date: 19 September 2019.