We're looking for a news reporter to join our digital newsroom in Newcastle.
You'll be part of a hardworking and committed team of journalists working at pace in a very busy city newsroom in the heart of Newcastle.
You'll need a sharp news sense and excellent social media skills, together with outstanding accuracy and attention to detail. Experience of writing news for online audiences is desirable.
We will consider applications from trainee journalists who have NCTJ preliminary qualifications including media law, and also from senior journalists.
It's an exciting role in a dynamic newsroom at the forefront of digital publishing.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
- Deliver high-quality, thoroughly researched, accurate and well-written stories, pictures and video on a daily basis to agreed deadlines as directed by the content desk
- Tell stories through pictures, video, audio, live blogs and other digital storytelling tools, using innovative, interactive techniques that grow audiences and engagement
- Shoot video, audio and pictures using company iPhone, filming, editing and sharing from the field as directed according to newsroom workflows
- Provide live coverage of news events for live blogs and breaking news as required
- Write content responsively, driven by analytics to deliver on audience trends
- Take responsibility for a content theme such as a geographic area, campaign or other area of interest, as directed
- Build contacts for story-gathering in local communities, online, on social and in person
- Use social media to spot and generate stories and identify relevant trending content
- Use analytics to inform content decisions, creating and tailoring content around what's trending locally and insights into audience behaviour
- Actively engage with readers online and on social media, through membership of appropriate digital communities, excellent social interaction and replying to comments
- Deliver audience-focused ideas - including non-traditional, non-news - on a regular basis
The Ideal Candidate
Ideally, you'll have NCTJ-accredited qualifications including news writing, media law and 100wpm shorthand.
You'll need to be creative and energetic, with excellent writing skills, strong social media savvy and the ability to thrive under pressure.
An understanding of search engine optimisation and of working with digital content management systems would be advantageous.
Great attention to detail, accuracy and the ability to think on your feet are essential.
The role involves being comfortable working at pace and under deadline pressure. You'll also need to be flexible covering early and late shifts on a rota, including weekends.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, discounted gym membership, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at