Reach plc have a fantastic opportunity for a Live News Reporter to join and become an integral part of the team at Bristol Live.
You'll be motivated by playing a full part in growing online audiences to ensure Bristol Live is the best place to go for anyone wanting to keep up to date with news, weather and travel information. Along with this, you will ensure a 'right first time' approach is taken to all content generation and help the editorial team and the whole business to continuously innovate and change at the pace we need to be a successful media business.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
- Providing live coverage of news and events for liveblogs and breaking news.
- Be proactive in seeking out breaking news and keeping Bristol up to date with everything that's going on in the city from the moment they wake up
- Fastidiously following up breaking news stories and squeezing every angle out of live incidents
- Making good contacts with emergency services press teams as well as within other key organisations in Bristol
- Interacting with readers to build trust and contacts on social media, in our traffic and travel groups and wherever else relevant.
The Ideal Candidate
- You'll possess an NCTJ-accredited senior journalism qualification and have at least 1-2 years' experience working for a media business.
- You will understand the urgency of a live news shift without compromising on accuracy or our high editorial standards
- You will have an understanding of digital publishing, including SEO.
- You will have a can-do attitude and thrive on the atmosphere of a busy newsroom
- You will love writing and have a natural aptitude for knowing a great story when you see one
- You will be able to manage your time and workload under the pressure of the constantly-changing news agenda
- You will have a solid understanding of social media and be comfortable using social publishing tools.
- Your knowledge of media law and IPSO's Editors' Code of Practice will be up to date
- You will be motivated by the challenge of sourcing and producing the right type of content for the right audience at the right time.
- Full driving licence is essential.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, discounted gym membership, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at