Do you want to join a newsroom that is obsessed with brilliant digital storytelling, loves breaking exclusives and where party poppers are set off regularly? We approach every story we write by thinking like a reader and we always strive to deliver the detail. We are now seeking to recruit talented, enthusiastic and motivated Multimedia Journalists to join the newsroom and become a reporter for the Hertfordshire Mercury.
The Hertfordshire Mercury is a new countywide website covering all the biggest, breaking news stories and everything that is great about living in Hertfordshire. You will work alongside the excellent EssexLive team and have the chance to learn from the very best. It was only two-and-a-half-years ago that we created EssexLive and since then, the site has become a firm favourite for readers across the county. EssexLive has enjoyed phenomenal audience growth in a short period of time and now we are looking to replicate that enviable success with the Hertfordshire Mercury.
We will be able to consider candidates at both Senior and Trainee level.
We are Reach because it's what we do.
Every day our newsbrands - national and regional, in print and online - reach millions of people up and down the country. We are the UK's largest news publisher, with influential national newsbrands such as the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Sunday People, Daily Record, and more than 100 distinguished regional titles.
Our brands have a long heritage of being trusted sources of news and information, with our editorial conviction and high standards of journalism providing audiences with timely information and opinion across multiple platforms.
Last year we sold 620 million newspapers, with 5 million readers of one of our brands each month. Our network of over 70 websites provide 24/7 coverage of news, sport and showbiz stories, with 8 billion page views per year.
In order to succeed in this role, you will:
- Deliver high-quality, thoroughly-researched, accurate and well-written multimedia content
- Identify the biggest issues impacting on people living in Hertfordshire and report on them in a way that engages and drives digital audience
- Provide coverage of the most important news events for live blogs
- Shoot video, audio and take pictures when out on jobs
- Build strong contacts for story-gathering within local communities across Hertfordshire
- Be active on social media to build audiences and communities and ensure that content is shared on social platforms
The Ideal Candidate
- You will have an NCTJ-accredited journalism qualification, including 100 words per minute shorthand
- You will have a thorough, up-to-date knowledge of media law and industry guidelines.
- You will have a full driving licence and access to a car.
- You will have some knowledge of Hertfordshire.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days holiday, bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase up to ten days per year, discounted gym membership, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at