Our client is the voice of British farming, and their members are at the heart of what they do. On their behalf they lobby government and other stakeholders, develop policy and provide a range of frontline services.
Position: County Adviser
Job type: Full Time, Permanent
Closing date: 18th August 2019
About the role:
The County Advisor will manage the work of our client in the County / Counties, including:
- Effective development and implementation of a County Plan.
- Supporting and advising the County Officeholders.
- Manage our clients member facing activities in the County.
- Manage, support and motivate Group Secretaries in the County to ensure that recruitment and retention membership targets are met.
- Manage our client's lobbying activities in the County; Manage the stakeholder engagement in the County.
- Manage the work of our client in the County including supporting membership recruitment and retention activity.
- Oversee the operation of the democratic structure of our client in the County
- Provide advice on agricultural / horticultural policy and supply chain issues, following national guidelines and procedures to elected officeholders, members and group secretaries in the County.
- In consultation with County Officeholders develop and then implement a County Plan which includes member recruitment and retention.
- Manage and support Group Secretaries to enable them to achieve agreed membership recruitment and retention targets within the County.
- Provide support and advice to the County Officeholder team.
- Maximise the member connection opportunities within the County.
- Provide regular briefings to County Officeholders and Group Secretaries.
- Provide advice and briefing material on specific commodity or commodities or cross sector issues for the region with support from HQ specialists.
- Oversee the Group Secretary recruitment process in the County.
- Provide appropriate training opportunities for County and Local Branch Officeholders and Group Secretaries.
- Seek opportunities to promote the work of our client within the County.
- Develop key media contacts within the County in collaboration with the Communications Adviser.
- Manage and coordinate our client's lobbying activities within the County (MPs and local politicians) and support the national lobbying priorities as agreed by the Corporate Affairs Directorate.
- Develop a network of key industry and supply chain contacts across the County.
- Monitor supply chain developments within the County and liaise with appropriate HQ departments.
- Ensure that there is effective stakeholder engagement within the County.
- Promote our client within the County.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a related discipline.
- In-depth knowledge of agricultural and rural policy issues.
- Management experience and expertise.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills, able to adapt to content and style to a wide range of audiences.
- Skill and experience in public speaking and delivery of effective presentations.
- Strong influencer, able to effectively promote our client within the local community.
- Able to manage conflict and deal with difficult and challenging situations e.g. county meetings.
- Experienced in networking and stakeholder management.
- Competent and confident in dealing with the media including TV and radio.
- Able to think on feet and make decisions with minimum reference.
- Able to address complex issues (e.g. quasi legal matters) and identify options and solutions.
- Able to manage and account for a small budget.
- Experience of using a contact management or similar database.
- Experience of managing a team of remote workers including recruitment, development, disciplinary and grievance issues etc.
- Able and willing to work irregular hours including evenings and weekends as required.
- Full current driving licence (consideration will be given under the Equality Act where applicable).
- Experience of working within a membership organisation.
- Experience of working with Boards / committees.
- Experience in town & country planning / rural surveying or other relevant fields.
- Accomplished public speaker.
- Experience of delivering income-related targets.
- Experience of managing performance in a target-driven environment.
- Project management experience.
You may have experience of the following: Policy Advisor, Membership Association, Environment, Farming, Agriculture, Rural Affairs, Membership Advisor, Stakeholder Management, Legislation, Member Adviser, Lobbying, Farmer, Customer Service, Customer Service Coordinator, Relationship Management, Charity, Charities, NFP, Not for Profit, Third Sector, Policy Officer, etc