Knight Energy Services based at Dundonald are recruiting a Senior Chemist within the Solid Fuels Laboratory due to continued growth.
Overall Purpose Of The Role:
Responsible for carrying out analytical methods and standard operating practices without supervision to a high degree of precision and accuracy, ensuring that an effective and high quality analytical service is provided to meet reporting deadlines on the various types of samples / commodities submitted to the laboratory for analytical evaluation. Carrying out method development within coal, biomass and chemistry labs using a number of analytical instrument techniques including GCMS, ICPMS, IC, CHN and S ensuring conformance to current recognised national and international standards.
Candidate should have an HND or Degree in an Environmental or Science related subject and a minimum of 5 years' experience in an analytical laboratory setting.
- Ensuring at all times that a high degree of accuracy and precision is applied to all chemistry methods and procedures through incorporating and promoting good laboratory practice principles.
- Responsible for ensuring that work throughput is followed in accordance to documented methods and procedures and that all quality procedures are adhered to.
- Advising the Deputy Lab Manager of repetitive problems in connection with training and development objectives that manifest during the execution of day-to-day analytical methods and procedures and associated standard operating practices.
- Carrying out all method development and validation within the chemistry lab and implementing fully.
- Ensuring that all methods, including non-accredited methods, are written up and circulated to the relevant personnel.
- Carrying out staff, method and process audits as and when required.
- Operating all instrumentation within chemistry lab including GCMS, ICPMS, S & CHN Analysers and IC.
- Maintaining records and laboratory data in agreement with the Deputy Lab Manager such that work is clearly and easily auditable and traceable.
- Processing and exporting analytical data unsupervised in preparation of results being checked and authorised prior to reporting. Review of control charts on a daily basis.
- Liaising with IT to develop and implement appropriate worksheets within LIMS.
- Processing analytical data and checking of results prior to reporting and daily review of all control charts.
- Assisting the Deputy Lab Manager in setting out and implementing extended training programmes that will ensure that the post holder is sufficiently well trained to carry out their analytical responsibilities accurately and efficiently.
- Assisting the Deputy Lab Manager in updating the post holders training record at every training milestone, while maintaining competency training records as a record of achievement beyond the initial 12 months training and development. Take full responsibility for own training records.
- Undertaking other duties of an appropriate nature in consultation with the Deputy Lab Manager.
- Providing technical advice and support to the lab staff as required on technical problems.
- Ensuring that all laboratory work areas and work stations are kept clean and tidy.
- Prepared to travel both nationally and internationally if necessary.
- Ensuring that all PPE and health and safety procedures are adhered to, in line with the laboratory code of practise.
- Maintaining a professional standard and appearance at all times during working hours and whilst promoting the company on company business.
- Ensuring that all Laboratory equipment is maintained in a working and calibrated state, organizing maintenance where necessary. And for ensuring equipment is compliant within the guidelines of the UK's 17025 accreditation.
- Good attention to detail.
- Method development and validation experience within in an analytical setting.
- Team player.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Confident with effective and assertive interpersonal skills.
- Methodical with good organisational skills.
- Remain poised, focused and effective under pressure.
Hours of work will be 7am - 3.30pm Monday - Friday with one hour for lunch. Holidays will be 25 per year plus 8 bank holidays. Contributory pension scheme employer 5% employee 4%. Life Assurance 4 x annual salary. Private medical insurane. Free car parking. Bonus at Christmas usually 2-4 weeks extra salary (pro-rata) and discretionary.