Location: Cambridge, UK
Job Family_ R&D.
We are currently recruiting for a Biochemist to support our R&D Activities in the Enzyme Development arm of Biocatalysis. You will be working in a cross-disciplinary team with molecular biologists, computational biologists, data scientists and other specialised Biocatalysis researchers.
As part of the Enzyme Development workflow, the requirement for all enzyme development R&D to culminate in the immediate availability of standardised lyophilised enzyme powder preparations is critical for testing in customer projects. As such, this role will assume full responsibility for the routine production of small-scale powders, quality characterisation and database-oriented stock upkeep for the growing number of enzymes in our portfolio. In addition, the development of new product-formats for delivering samples to customers in a timely, cost efficient manner is also envisioned. Opportunities to optimise the production protocols for the enzymes and liaise with the bioprocessing team, who will transfer selected enzymes to fermentation vessels, will also form part of the role.
- Ensuring compliance with EHS standards in line with the JM safety culture and actively identifying opportunities for continual EHS improvements
- Plan and execute assigned experiments that support research activities and project goals within the Enzyme Development team.
- To evaluate and deploy new methodologies for the small scale, primarily shake flask driven production of selected enzymes in our growing enzyme portfolio.
- To maintain the stock levels for the enzymes in line with the changing demands for certain enzyme classes over others.
- To develop with assistance from existing members, new plate screening formats for commercial sale to customers.
- To undertake R&D on powder characterization specifically verifying batch specific activity, enzyme shelf life stability
- To undertake R&D, when necessary, for the reliable transfer of knowledge from small scale to 1L fermenters, by liaising with the bioprocessing team. Similarly, development of new methods to improve the usefulness of data collected at small production for transfer to 1L fermenters.
- To familiarize and train with the existing high throughput equipment (specifically, liquid handlers and colony pickers)
Are you the ideal candidate?
- Bsc (or equivalent experience) in Biochemistry, Biocatalysis or related scientific field
- Excellent knowledge and hands on experience of small-scale shake flask production of enzymes
- Working knowledge and experience of bacterial molecular biology techniques such as plasmid cloning, glycerol stock creation and (q)PCR
- Experience with E. coli expression vectors and induction systems
- Knowledge of biocatalysis and associated applications for fine chemical manufacture
- Knowledge of or hands on experience with performing enzyme assays
- Highly motivated, goal-orientated and drives for results
- Project management skills with the ability to prioritise and manage your time efficiently
How to apply_
Internal applicants should advise their line manager before applying. For more information please contact. . If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team, please complete an online application.
Closing date for applications_ 27 August 2019
Johnson Matthey Plc is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.