Technician / Senior Technician
The Test House (Cambridge) Ltd
Granta Park, Cambridge
The Test House has an opportunity for an experienced Technician to join the Metallography & Corrosion Services Section. You will join a busy and profitable TWI group with a diverse business portfolio including UKAS accredited materials testing along with other forms of non-destructive and destructive testing to a wide range of standards. We actively support diversity and inclusion, and recognises the importance of creating a culture where everyone feels valued for the contribution they make.
Reporting to the Section Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for day-to-day planning and completion of metallurgical and corrosion test project work. Undertaking metallographic work on a wide range of ferrous and non-ferrous materials. The work extensively includes mounting, polishing and etching weld and material cross sections, followed by digital image capture at macro or micro level and hardness testing.
- Planning and scheduling of work through the laboratory
- Undertaking contract reviews, ensuring clients requirements are fully understood and documented
- Timely completion of metallographic and corrosion work to the deliverables as agreed with clients
- Observance and adherence to quality system and test procedure requirements
- Observance and adherence to group company health and safety practice
- Work in accordance with current Health and Safety requirements, with particular emphasis on the safe use of chemicals and CoSHH assessments and to high quality standards within tight deadlines.
- Conducts themselves in line with TWI’s values of teamwork, innovation, taking responsibility, customer focus, adaptability and respect
This role would suit an experienced technician with a thorough understanding of metallography, in particular the behaviour of materials during polishing and etching process and corrosion testing to BS EN ISO and ASTM standards. The position may be uplifted to Senior Technician, depending on applicant’s background and experience.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience of practical problem solving and be able to demonstrate your attention to detail when working to standards and procedures.
- Good IT skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office packages would be an advantage
- Ideally a significant experience in Metallography, holding BTEC ONC/HNC in an engineering or related discipline.
- In this busy role, you will have direct contact with internal customers, which will require good interpersonal and organisational skills.
- You must also be able to contribute to a multi-disciplinary team, be self-motivated and capable of working unsupervised.
Experience of working in a UKAS accredited testing laboratory (ISO 17025:2017) would be an advantage.
TWI offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, as well as opportunities to develop.
Job Role: Technician / Senior Technician
Hours: 36 hours p/wk.
Closing Date: Monday 2nd September 2019
To apply, please click on the link below: