VACANCY: Analytical Scientist
Job Family_ R&D.
Johnson Matthey, a FTSE 100 company, is a global leader in sustainable technologies specialising in catalysis, precious metal products, chemicals and process technology. With operations in over 30 countries, we employ more than 13,000 people. Johnson Matthey uses science to make the world cleaner and healthier. Over the past two centuries we have built our reputation and place as a global leader through quality, integrity, and innovation. Today, more than 93% of the group's sales come from products and services which provide sustainability benefits through the positive impact they have on the environment, resource efficiency and human health, but that's not enough. We have ambitious plans for growth and need talented individuals to help shape and lead us into our next century.
Johnson Matthey has an exciting opportunity for an Analytical Scientist in the Analytical Services Group (Solid Form Services) of the Health Division. The Solid Form Services (Pharmorphix??) business understands and modifies the physical form properties of an active pharmaceutical ingredient to enable rapid development of candidate drugs, thus providing benefits for patients, and strengthening the intellectual property position of our clients.
As a leading provider of solid form contract research and development services to the international pharmaceutical and biotech industry, this is a challenging role for an ambitious individual wishing to develop their career.
- Demonstrate commitment to EH&S through actively participating in the JM safety culture
- Perform a range of assigned research experiments as directed by the Project Leader/ Team Leader Analytical Services under minimal supervision
- Interpret experimental data and highlight any interesting or unexpected results
- Contribute to the design of experimental procedures and exercise technical judgement in the execution of these
- Report experiments accurately and promptly. Keep laboratory notebooks up to date in accordance with the company's quality procedures. Write high quality reports for submission to customers
- Contribute to problem solving sessions, seminars and other scientific discussions
- Communicate results at internal project meetings and externally to customers, under minimal supervision
- Efficiently manage projects when requested by the Head of Solid Form Services/ Analytical Services Team Leader
- Maintain and promote a high standard or scientific work either individually or as part of a team
- Being responsible for, troubleshooting and maintaining Analytical equipment
Are you the ideal candidate?
- The ability to learn and understand new procedures in a short space of time
- The aptitude to work on multiple projects at any one time, and adapt generic methods and procedures to suit individual project requirements
- A degree (or equivalent experience) in a chemistry related discipline or pharmaceutical sciences
- Working experience in an analytical services laboratory
- Extensive experience in chromatographic techniques
- HPLC experience essential, experience with OpenLabs software preferable
- GC experience with residual solvents analysis preferable
- Experience in the review and approval of analytical data preferable
- A good theoretical understanding of Physicochemical techniques such as pKa, LogP, dissolution and solubility, with practical experience in these related disciplines, desirable
- Experience in Pre-formulation development advantageous
- Knowledge of GMP, GLP, and ISO 9001 is desirable
How to apply?
If you have the necessary skills and experience to join our team and would like to apply, please complete an online application. For more information, please contact the Talent Acquisition Team via email -
Closing Date_ 30 August 2019