Safety Systems Engineer / Technical Safety Engineer
Job Title: Safety Systems Engineer
Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
Salary: Competitive depending on experience
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
The Company has unlocked a new route to scalable fusion power that is cost-effective and does not require huge infrastructure and capital expenditure. The technology will revolutionise the world's energy production - it will be possible to produce more energy, more cheaply and with fewer harmful side effects (e. with no long term nuclear waste or carbon emissions).
They aim to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies - spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors. The company's innovation has been featured on Channel 4 news, BBC News Click and Reuters news channel and they received a Technology Pioneer Award at the World Economic Forum on 2016.
This is the chance to join a fast-growing high technology company with an agile, dynamic team and to tackle the challenge of a lifetime.
You will be part of the Electrical and Systems Engineering team who are responsible for the design, installation and commissioning of many pulsed power supplies as well as installation and commissioning of the controls, diagnostics and safety systems for the ST40 programme.
You will be responsible for designing the MIS (machine interlock system). You will be working with the internal Physicists, Engineers and staff to assess the requirements and external verification companies to validate the operation of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 standards.
- HAZOP of ST40 for system examination and machine risk management
- LOPA analysis
- Commission and installation of machine safety systems interfacing with ST40 machine control system
- Internally the candidate will communicate with the Electrical and Systems Engineering Group Manager, other mechanical and electrical engineers working within the Company
- Externally, the candidate will be responsible for the management of electrical engineering manufacture contracts and will there have to liaise with manufacturers and component suppliers
- Writing of risk assessments and installation method statements for proposed installations
- Develop innovative solutions to support contract requirements
- Safety requirements specifications
- Qualified to a higher technical standard in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering
- Have in depth experience of the Critical Risk Safe Systems of work and other standards and code of practice to enable active development of solutions
- Understanding of IEC 61508 and IEC 61511 standards
- Good fault-finding skills
- Fully conversant with engineering drawings and circuit diagrams
- Good communication skills
- AutoCAD experience
- A member of a relevant engineering-chartered institute at a minimum of Incorporated Engineer
- IOSH managing safety qualification or equivalent
- Knowledge, understanding and application of BS7671 and electricity safety
- Experience in PLC and communication interfacing
- The post will involve occasional travel within the UK
- Previous experience within a scientific facility or similar
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company pension scheme
- Eligible for company share option scheme after 1 years' service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependant on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months service
Please note: Only candidates with the relevant skills and experience will be contacted regarding this position. If you do not hear back from them within 10 days of submitting, your application then unfortunately you have been unsuccessful. However, they may contact you in the future to discuss other opportunities.
No terminology in the advert or job description is intended to discriminate on the grounds of a person's gender, marital status, race, religion, colour, age, disability or sexual orientation. Every candidate will be assessed only in accordance with their merits, qualifications and abilities to perform the duties of the job.
Please click the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for the role.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of; Systems Engineer, Multi-Skilled Systems Engineer, Test Engineer, Systems Infrastructure Engineer, Systems Test Engineer, Systems Architect, Engineer, Systems Tester, Systems Engineer, Process Safety Engineer, Environmental Engineer, Process Engineer, DSEAR, Chemical Engineer, Health & Safety Engineer, Process Engineering, Chemical Engineering, DSEAR Risk Assessment, COMAH, Environmental Engineering, Risk Management, Chemical Process Safety Engineer, Safety Engineer, Process Technician, Safety Technician, Chemical Technician may also be considered for this role.
Apply for Safety Systems Engineer / Technical Safety Engineer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly