Housing Benefit Assessor
Housing Benefit Assurance Process -Auditor
Contract role will require travel
Our clients are local authorities from across England, ranging from small district councils through to large unitaries. They expect high quality and timely review of their housing benefit subsidy claims by audit teams with a detailed knowledge of housing benefits and the related housing benefit assurance process (HBAP). You will use your knowledge and experience of housing benefits, and professional skills, to undertake HBAP work across a variety of clients.
You'll help our clients meet their subsidy claim requirements by undertaking all aspects of the housing benefit assurance process, working with a team of EY colleagues to do so. You will be expected to use your pre-existing knowledge of housing benefits in this role, but will be provided with training to ensure you are fully equipped to undertake HBAP and to use related methodologies and software.
Your key responsibilities
Providing exceptional client service will be central to your work. You will leverage your understanding of housing benefits to perform detailed testing of individual claims as required by HBAP guidance, and to challenge client calculations and treatments as appropriate based on the underpinning evidence. You will maintain regular dialogue with the engagement manager, ensuring they are kept up to date on progress and any potential issues identified.
Skills and attributes for success
- Performing case testing at client sites, taking ownership of the work being undertaken
- Working closely with the rest of the engagement team, highlighting potential errors on a timely basis to enable agreement of required extended testing where necessary
- Interacting with key client contacts to raise and clear queries arising from testing promptly
- Using your existing knowledge of housing benefits to quickly grasp the testing requirements of HBAP, enabling you to work with a high degree of independence
To qualify for the role you must have
- In-depth knowledge of housing benefit, and at least one of the commonly used benefit administration systems such as Northgate, Academy (Capita), or Civica.
- Strong IT skills, especially in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to quickly gain an understanding of the specific audit techniques required by HBAP
- Team working skills, regularly liaising with colleagues at various grades
- Excellent communication skills to allow confident interaction with clients
Ideally, you'll also have:
- Prior experience undertaking housing benefit certification work and/or compilation of a housing benefit subsidy claim form
- An understanding or experience of all commonly used housing benefit administration systems
- IRRV qualification in revenues and benefits administration
What we look for
We're looking for enthusiastic and motivated individuals who can quickly make a significant impact on the engagements to which they are assigned. With a focus on quality and efficiency, you will have an aptitude for housing benefits and an ability to learn new skills and work independently, liaising with clients and colleagues to deliver high quality housing benefit assurance.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support and coaching from some of the most engaging colleagues around
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. While our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Make your mark.