We are looking for a skilled HGV/PSV Mechanic to join our team in Chelmsford.
Do you have a Level 3 mechanical qualification? Are you fully conversant in vehicle repair? If so, we want to hear from you?
What will you be doing?
As a Skilled Mechanic you will diagnose and carry out vehicle repair, servicing and parts replacement with Central Engineering Standard Operating Procedures. The successful candidate will be someone who has the ability to work safely and efficiently to a high standard in a busy engineering workshop.
In addition to this some other key responsibilities are:
- To diagnose vehicle faults and specify the correct method of repair and parts to be used within defined quality standards and within the most cost effective manner.
- To carry out vehicle servicing in accordance with central engineering SOPs.
- To record individual job times for the repair action either manually or electronically.
- To ensure parts replaced under warranty are returned to stores fully labelled and in a clean condition.
- To ensure all parts are booked out from stores using the correct procedure.
- To adhere to good housekeeping practices including general tidiness in the workshop and the return of all tools and equipment to their designated place.
- To carry out routine vehicle examinations using hand held data capture devices if applicable, in accordance to central engineering SOPs and VOSA testing requirements.
- To attend on-road vehicle breakdowns and recoveries.
- To carry out vehicle road testing where necessary to determine specific vehicle defects or following remedial repair
You will be working 39 hours per week (this will include weekend work) and the salary is GBP17.01 per hour (GBP34,500 per year)
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for someone with a minimum Level 3 NVQ standard or equivalent in mechanical or automotive engineering or similar. You must be fully conversant with the overhaul and repair of vehicle systems engines, gear boxes and hydraulic systems and have strong working experience using workshop equipment such as brake rolling road testers, tracking gauges, hydraulic vehicle lifts, washing systems and testing equipment. To be successful you will need to also have a basic electrical understanding.
What will we offer you?
You'll enjoy a range of benefits, such as:
- Free travel on our buses for you and your family
- Pension scheme
- The chance to buy discounted First shares.
- Discounted train travel for you and your family on our train operators (GWR, SWR, TPE & Hull Trains).
- On top of this our rewards include First Xclusives where you can benefit from over 3,000 offers on a variety of goods and services
What do we do?
One of Britain's largest bus operators, we help around 1.6 million passengers get about their local communities every day.
Putting safety first and our customers at the heart of everything we do, we provide reliable, comfortable and punctual services that offer good value for money.
We're also proud to be part of the FirstGroup family that carries 2.5 billion passengers a year all around the world in the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada and Mexico.
Interested? What are you waiting for? Apply Today!