Mechanical Product Engineer
An exciting University start-up tech company has an exciting opportunity for a talented Mechanical Product Engineer to join their team based in Southampton.
They are developing advanced wearable / portable chemical sensor products for continuous monitoring of biochemical markers in environmental and healthcare applications.
They are expanding quickly and are looking for energetic experienced professionals or talented graduates to join them. They provide you with the best opportunity to expand your skills and make a success of your career by providing a professional, challenging and exciting environment.
About the role:
As their Mechanical Product Engineer, you will be responsible for developing mechanical components and systems for the company's and their customers' products. You will have overall responsibility for the design and development of new products from initial concept through to production.
As the product design engineer you will be responsible for championing best practice throughout the entire product development process.
Day to day responsibilities will primarily be:
- Requirements capture for new products
- Development of mechanical concepts using sketches, prototyping and 3D CAD and simulation tools
- Prototyping of concepts using machining and micromachining, rapid prototyping and off-the-shelf components
- Collaboration with internal electronics, software & chemistry teams and external consultants
- Sourcing, liaison and implementation of manufacturing strategy using external manufacturers
- Preparation of 2D/3D production data packs
- Ensuring product compliance with CE and other regulations
- Fabrication of test and calibration rigs
- Design of ancillary materials including packaging, labelling, technical manuals, assembly documentation
- University degree educated in mechanical engineering or related subjects
- Passion to invent, design and fabricate products
- Strong CAD background, e.g. Solidworks, Autocad etc.
- Previous industrial experience in developing products to market, ideally in start-ups or spin-outs
- Experience in the areas of either sensors or medical devices or experience in fluidics / microfluidics
- Experience working with local or international manufacturers
- Experience working in group environments on multidisciplinary projects; must be a team player
- Flexible and open-minded start-up company mindset
- Creative with innovative ideas
- Can-do attitude, whilst being able to challenge and be challenged.
- Self-motivated and able to work without daily supervision
- Competitive Salary
- Pension scheme
- Private healthcare insurance
- 23 days' holidays + bank holidays
- 37.5 hour week + flexible working patterns considered
They are committed to excellence in their people as well as their technology. This is reflected in their core principles:
- As an equal opportunities employer, they look for the values and strengths in all people and seek to encourage them to grow and develop
- Working together as a team is a real competitive advantage and one the company is committed to maintain
- They aspire to be the best that they can be
- Every individual is expected to contribute to their own development and to help others develop where they can. It also means that they hold ourselves up to the highest standards in everything they do.
Sounds interesting? Click the APPLY button now.
Please include your cover letter in the same document as your CV.
Candidates with previous experience or job titles including; Mechanical Product Engineer, Mechanical Engineering, CAD, Mechanical Engineer, Technician, may also be considered for this role.