Technical Accountant / Qualified Accountant / Finance Manager
Job Title: Technical Accountant
Location: Cromer, Norfolk
Salary: £32,029 - £35,934 per annum, plus relocation package
Job Type: Full time, Permanent
Closing date: Tuesday 20th August 2019
Interview date: Friday 30th August 2019
They are looking for an energetic and talented individual to join their Accountancy team. As Technical Accountant, you will have good attention to detail and thrive on varied work. You will have responsibility for the day to day running of their Treasury Management function, as well as monitoring their Business Rates and Council Tax income positions and the Capital Programme, liaising with internal and external partners as required. You will provide advice and guidance to a wide range of service managers on business cases and capital bids.
They're looking for someone who has experience in a technical finance discipline who is up for a new challenge. You will be a team player, have excellent communication skills and be used to discussing technical disciplines with both subject experts and non-experts. If you want to be part of an enthusiastic and forward-thinking team they would like to hear from you.
Responsibility for a number of the Council's technical finance areas including Capital. Undertaking the treasury management function for the Council, the daily cash management; advising on the Council's treasury management strategy and undertaking the Council's collection fund accounting function.
- Carry out effective treasury management, ensuring that risk is properly managed, that liquidity is maintained and that the best return on investments is achieved, consistent with the risks and the Council's treasury management strategy
- Undertaking cash flow forecasts to inform investment and borrowing decisions
- Advising on the formulation of the Council's Treasury Management Strategy and ensuring its implementation
- Carry out collection fund accounting duties including the calculation of the annual council tax base (in total and per individual parish)
- Liaison with other Councils on completion of in-year monthly business rate monitoring to inform the financial monitoring reports which contribute to county-wide business rate forecasts
- Assisting with budget preparation within areas of responsibility, including Council Tax, Business rates, Treasury and Capital
- Complete in-year monitoring against the Capital programme
- Preparing Government returns relating to the Capital programme and Treasury Management
- Ensure that the final accounts are prepared for the technical accounting areas including treasury management, Capital and the collection fund
- Act as business partner to all departments within the Council, providing financial advice to officers and members as required in relation to treasury management, capital and other technical accounting areas
- Advising on business cases for Council departments as required
- Responsibility for the treasury management function including undertaking investments and borrowings as applicable
- To review the Council's treasury management practices and regularly monitor investment income and returns
- Attend and present reports to members at Committee and Cabinet meetings as required
- To take responsibility for your own Health and Safety at work and that of other persons who may be affected by your actions
- Any other work required and as directed within the confines of the existing grading and post
- A recognised accountancy qualification with a minimum of AAT
- A good standard of education including GCSEs in Mathematics and English at grade C or above
- Knowledge of financial systems and software packages
- Understanding of the relevant codes of practice (CIPFA Code of Practice for Treasury Management, The Prudential Code and Local Authority Accounting SORP)
- Experience of working in treasury management or similar discipline
- A good understanding of factors which influence the economy and interest rates. Ability to understand economic and treasury related information provided by the Council's treasury advisors
- Ability to demonstrate awareness and implications of changes to legislation and accounting practices
- Ability to think clearly and remain calm under pressure and in a rapidly changing environment
- Attention to detail
- Excellent general IT skills with proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Ability to prioritise and co-ordinate activities
- Good communication skills (written and verbal)
- Confident, self-aware and motivated
- Behave in a professional and competent manner
Please click on the APPLY button where you'll be redirected to the council's careers page.
The Council is committed to equality and diversity in employment and encourages applications from all sections of the community.
They offer employees a friendly working environment, flexible working hours, a career average pension scheme and take pride in achieving Investors in People Gold standard.
Candidates with experience of: Accountant, Qualified Accountant Chartered Accountancy, Bookkeeper, Chartered Accountant, Senior Accountant, Management Accountancy, ACA, ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, Finance Manager, Finance Controller, Senior Accountant, Company Accountant, Group Accountant, Group Finance Manager, Sage Line 50, Accounts Senior, Tax Accountant may also be considered for this role.