Senior Assessment Research and Validation Manager
Our English as a Foreign Language (EFL) tests are designed to bring real benefit to customers seeking to use assessment tools either as a standalone measurement of their students' English language ability or as part of their language learning programme.
Our tests are innovative in design, based on an item banking approach, employ computer-adaptive technology for objectively marked test modules, and online capture and marking of Speaking and Writing tasks. In addition to the provision of summative assessments, we are also involved in supporting assessment for learning products, providing data-driven feedback on student progress and the impact of programmes of instruction.
We have a unique and exciting opportunity to join our ELT Assessment group as a Senior Assessment Research and Validation Manager. Your responsibility would be to ensure the implementation and quality assurance of the wide range of statistical analyses carried out to calibrate items and align tests to relevant frameworks. You will also be involved in research and validation activities aimed at supporting and measuring learning outcomes.
The core responsibilities for the post holder will be:
- Conduct research to aid the design, development and validation of assessment products
- Supervise and carry out operational analysis to calibrate pretested items
- Supervise and carry out calibration activities for the development and maintenance of test item banks
- Design and carry out benchmarking activities linking OUP tests to external frameworks such as the CEFR
- Manage activities related to the quality assurance of the marking of speaking and writing test modules
- Represent OUP to senior stake holders at recognising or accrediting bodies
- Publish research and engage high level stake holders in order to promote OUP as an assessment brand
- Interrogate large data sets for evidence of learning outcomes.
This would be a great opportunity for an assessment professional looking for the chance to shape the research and validation for an innovative range of online language tests. You will:
- Be educated to degree level or equivalent, and have a background in education
- Ideally hold a Masters or PhD in Applied Linguistics, Education, or Statistics
- Have a good understanding of the theories and principles of language testing
- Have significant experience in data analytics related to the field of education and learning, including the application of Classical and Rasch programs (e.g. Iteman, Winsteps, Facets)
- Have a practical knowledge of programming (e.g. R, Python)
- Be organised and deadline-driven, and be able to prioritise a demanding and varied workload to ensure projects are delivered to schedule
- Have strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate to peers, senior management, and the teaching and academic community
- Provide thought leadership on the exploitation of data science to drive the innovations in Assessment products and service
- Develop analytic capabilities (e.g. statistical modelling, data visualisation) to support Assessment research, and inform ELT data strategy.
We care about work/life balance here at OUP; with this in mind we offer 25 days' holiday (plus bank holidays), and a 35-hour working week, along with the flexibility to start and finish late or early as required, you will also be eligible for an annual bonus in the is role.
The environment you work in and your wellbeing is really important so we also have a wide range of facilities including: a canteen that serves a wide variety of healthy and delicious meals, a subsidized onsite gym and subsidized coffee shops. Amongst further benefits, our pension contribution is up to 11%.
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce, and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.