Job Title: Chief Executive (permanent, full-time).
South West Business Council.
Salary in the region of £50,000 - £60,000 OTE.
The South West Business Council is the economic partnership for the South West of the UK. We shine a spotlight on regional capabilities that are ahead of the field nationally and around the world, providing evidence of the South West’s differentiation in a global marketplace and providing a single voice that describes an open, innovative, dynamic and exciting region.
With a track record of over 18 years, we broker high-level connections between the private, public, and third sectors and lobby on regional issues of importance to the business community. Working at a strategic level, SWBC works hard to ensure that the best decisions are made to deliver sustainable economic prosperity for the South West; an economy of over £30 billion. Above all, we focus on delivering and enabling insight, innovation and impact for every business across the South West.
South West Business Council activities are supported by private sector membership. We focus on bringing new opportunities to life for our members by operating as an enabler, a catalyst and an honest broker and by sharing strategic insight and information.
Following a period of significant growth and development, the Board of the South West Business Council is keen to recruit a Chief Executive to consolidate recent achievements, build on our long track record and continue to grow the organisation.
The CEO is the leader of the SWBC operations team, the key contact for member companies and stakeholders, the primary interface between SWBC and the Statutory and Advisory Boards, and the public face of the organization.
Main Responsibilities include;
- Team leadership; the CEO is required to lead the operational team and be responsible for the day to day running of the company
- Working with the Statutory Board in setting the strategic direction for the organization.
- New member recruitment, support and stakeholder engagement, including building new partnerships nationally and internationally.
- Relationships with other membership organisations.
- Event planning and delivery; leading the events team and being the primary public face of the organization.
- Financial management, Board reporting and support for governance processes.
- Public Relations & Communications.
Experience & Qualifications
- Evidence of experience leading a small dynamic team, with day-to-day operational responsibility and a significant amount of external engagement will be key. Business experience is required, and the ability to learn, adapt, be creative and draw on the capabilities of the team is crucial for this role.
- Specific skills; a high level of software competence is essential (primarily MS Office), along with an appreciation of CRM systems. Aside from general team leadership skills, public presentation and speaking are important competencies for the role.
- Personal characteristics; this is a varied role, requiring a flexible and pragmatic approach to daily operations. The successful candidate will be able to think on their feet, while building consensus and a sense of a shared purpose within the operations team and the Board. Personal resilience is key, along with an empathetic approach to a wide range of stakeholders. Finally, the ability to respond to the high expectations of our members, to balance strategic opportunity against pragmatic execution and to manage multiple and simultaneous demands will stand the successful applicant in good stead.
- Successful applicants are likely to be educated to at least first degree level or equivalent, with an additional postgraduate, or professional, qualification and second language considered advantageous.
A covering letter and CV should be sent by clicking apply
.Closing date for applications: Friday 23rd August.
First-round interviews: week commencing 2nd September.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief.
Apply for Chief Executive
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly