Network Engineer job at the Home Office based in Salford. Significant training and development opportunities.
Do you enjoy working on complex and interesting systems that provide daily challenges; collaborating with a friendly and upbeat team and developing yourself as an expert with Network Security?
Why this role is important
We are currently in the most transformative and progressive era of the Home Office where our digital and technological makeup is constantly developing. On a day to day basis the decisions you make have an impact on how the end users in the Home Office are equipped to do their jobs. This means your work is indirectly impacting everyone in the UK.
As a Network Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, administrating and supporting network services. You will work in a team of network engineers to support the development of proxy applications within both mail and web.
You will also support the firewalling deployed in the Home Office and in particular, products based on Cisco and Checkpoint. You will provide input into helping shape engineering best practices and standards.
Network Engineers will hold the following:
- Knowledge of networking concepts, switching, routing. Specifically firewalling as implemented on system borders in a zone-based architectures.
- Knowledge of end-point security applications applied to client machines and their integration into the overall network security strategy.
- Knowledge of proxy administration specifically mail and web-based applications.
- Knowledge of networking concepts, switching, routing as applied to complex networks that employ classic network design.
- Formal training in computer science to degree level or certified experience in a known computing field (or equivalent industrial experience).
- Able to present information clearly, concisely and accurately in appropriate language, which meets the needs of the user.
Candidates with knowledge of cloud-based technologies such as AWS or AZURE and of software defined networking, such as the Cisco UCS ACI solution would be particularly desirable.
What's on offer
As an employer of choice, the Home Office offers an extensive benefits package including:
- A competitive salary package consisting of:
Manchester GBP29,040 - GBP33,396*
*Candidates that provide an exceptional demonstration of the necessary skills and experience may be subject to receiving a Recruitment & Retention Allowance of up to GBP3,000
- 25 days annual leave (rising to 30 after 10 year's service in the Home Office) plus 1 additional day for the Queen's Birthday and 8 bank holidays
- Excellent pension scheme
- An extensive training and development plan for this role
- Flexible working to support a healthy work life balance