The purpose of this highly visible role is to provide safety advice and support to the business as required and to encourage the implementation of good safe working practices. Our working environment is complex and presents unique challenges; the postholder will assist safety colleagues to promote line management ownership of safety and will play a key role in the safety compliance and assurance process.
The varied nature of work on the parliamentary estate results in a wide safety risk portfolio which includes catering, visitor and retail services, events management, facility management and maintenance of the Palace of Westminster. The varied nature of the parliamentary estate means that the post holder will need to manage several projects at any one time, sometimes with minimal guidance from senior management.
To be successful, candidates must have experience working in a health and safety role and demonstrate knowledge of the key principles of successful health and safety management. The post is ideally suited to a safety professional with several years' post qualification experience, who is looking to consolidate his/her training and work with experienced safety colleagues.
The successful candidate will have the following skills/experience:
- Relevant experience in providing risk-based advice in a complex organisation, IOSH member (or eligible for membership); strong track record in H&S practices.
- Significant experience of accident reporting/ investigation and the administrative arrangements required to maintain a robust recording system.
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience engaging a wide range of stakeholders in a diverse corporate environment.
- Excellent communications skills with proven experience engaging a wide range of stakeholders in a corporate environment.
- Previous appropriate experience, holding a NEBOSH/NCRQ Certificate or equivalent, be a member of IOSH (or eligible for membership) and have a strong track record in H&S practices.
- Annual leave starting at 30 days pro rata
- Civil Service Pension scheme
- Interest-free season ticket loan
- Discounted membership of the in-house gym
All applications must be submitted on a House of Commons application form.
More information on the role and the full criteria can be found on the job description.