6 days left
- Full Time
Support Worker - Rustington
Department: Personal Support
Opportunity Type: Paid
Advertising End Date: 26 Aug 2019
Hours Per Week: 37.5
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.
We are looking for caring, enthusiastic and dedicated support workers to join our team in Rustington.
At our Rustington service, we currently support 2 gentlemen and 5 ladies, with ages ranging from 33 to 74 - which clearly offers a wide range of experiences and personalities. The people we support at the service require a high level of support, with 3 people being wheelchair bound, 1 person being a partial wheelchair user and 3 being able to walk independently – this variety of care clearly shows the need for person centred care, something we hold ourselves to.
We have various contracts available and welcome applicants that are looking for full-time or part-time opportunities. Shifts are rota based and will be spread across morning, afternoons, evening and include sleep ins (payment for sleep ins is competitive and compliant with National Living Wage requirements). Day shifts are 07:00am to 14:30pm and 14:00pm to 21.30pm. You must be available for waking nights shifts & able to work weekends.
You will need to support the people at the service with general daily needs, with 3 of the people we support requiring assistance with eating and drinking. Furthermore, you will need to be able to communicate with the people we support through pictures, videos and body language – as communication is of the upmost importance. You will also support the people at the service in living as independently as possible, whilst also being involved in the community.
The people we support enjoy a wide range of activities including listening to music, going to the cinema and going to the theatre – who doesn’t like being entertained? The people we support also love going on holiday! The people at the service have been all over the country, visiting zoos, London and even the Isle of Wight – having fun is a key part of everyone’s life.
Teamwork and family involvement are the backbones of the service, with the team often looking for new ways to fulfil the wants and needs of the people we support – for example, the team are currently trying to get one of the ladies booked in for a helicopter ride, as she loves the show: helicopter heroes!
As a support worker, all you’ll need to have is a positive attitude and a desire to improve the lives of those with a learning disability. If you support the people within our service, we will support you with award winning training and progression opportunities throughout your career with us.
* An enhanced DBS will be required for the successful candidate
* Car or van drivers preferred, however not essential.
Job reference: 16536
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
- Loans for debt consolidation,bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract