Support Worker- Haywards Heath
Department: Personal Support
Opportunity Type: Paid
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.
The role of support worker is a particularly rewarding one – how many other jobs allow you to make a real difference to someone’s life?
We currently have opportunities to join our team of dedicated support workers at our Haywards Heath service in the West Sussex area. Our Haywards Heath service consists of supported living services for seven people whom have profound and multiple learning disability, autism, sensory impairment and physical disability.
As a Support Worker at Haywards Heath, you will:
- Help the people we support with cooking, cleaning and assisting with their finances.
- Encourage positive behaviour routines.
- Use a dynamic approach to enable the people we support to communicate through alternative tools and methods –such as using Makaton or a photo translation book with C.K.
- Be patient and adaptable – as flexibility when providing support is vital.
- Provide support with personal care.
Hobbies are a huge part of the lives of the people we support and you will be required to assist the people we support during a number of activities. This includes playing records with D, going carriage riding with E and cooking and going swimming with J– do you fancy yourself to be the Michael Phelps of Haywards Heath?
We have various contracts available and welcome applicants that are looking for full-time, part-time or weekend opportunities. Shifts are rota based and will be spread across morning, afternoons, evening and include sleep ins (payment for sleep ins is competitive and compliant with National Living Wage requirements). Flexibility is essential as all our shifts will be spread across the weekdays and weekends.
As a support worker, all you’ll need to have is a positive attitude and a desire to improve the lives of those with a learning disability. If you support the people within the service, we will support you with award winning training and progression opportunities throughout your career with us.
For further details of this role please click on the ‘additional information’ attachments at the bottom of this advertisement – from here you will be able to read all of the one page profiles of the people we support, offering you an insight to the people you will be supporting.
SOU1 Job ID: Haywards Heath - 16846
As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
- Loans for debt consolidation,bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract