- Full Time
Support Worker - Banstead, Surrey
Department: Personal Support
Opportunity Type: Paid
Hours Per Week: 37.5
Advertising End Date: 28 Aug 2019
At Mencap we work in partnership with people with a learning disability. We do this by providing high quality, flexible services that support people, including young adults, to live as independently as possible in their own homes and in the community.
Everyone wants a purposeful job - to do something meaningful. At Mencap, we can give you that. You will have opportunities to develop as a person, colleague, leader and activist.
You’ll make new friends and feel inspired to reach your potential. We will ask a lot of you - but you’ll get back so much more. With us, it is never ‘just a job’.
In return for your hard work and passion, we can give you real meaning and purpose in your work.
Would you like to finish work each day knowing you have made a difference?
We are looking for positive, compassionate and caring Support Workers to join our Banstead services where we support adults with learning disabilities.
Who you will be supporting
The people you will be supporting love a variety of activities including swimming, shopping, cooking, socialising, going on days out, cinema, day centres, eating out and being part of their community which can at times be a hectic schedule.Being social and having conversations about things that are of interest and daily life is something they truly value. There is a definite sense of fun and belonging in the service and a sense of humour helps in building rapport and good relationships with the people you will be supporting.
In the home, the emphasis is on active support, so working with and not for the people we support, maintaining and developing skills to keep their home environment safe, clean and well maintained.We support people with a variety of emotional and social needs including mobility, where support with a wheelchair is required only when out, intimate personal care and eating and drinking.
As a support worker, flexibility is key for both yourself and for the service, as you may be required to work a variety of different shifts throughout the week and weekend, including mornings (ideal for you early risers!), evenings and Sleep-ins (Payment for sleep ins is competitive and compliant with National Living Wage requirements).
The role of a Support Worker can be very emotionally challenging at times so it is essential to have a positive mind-set with a desire to improve the lives of those with a learning disability. You will need to be quick thinking with a positive can do attitude.
In return for your hard work we will support you through our award winning paid training to help you progress in your career with us! Driving is desirable for this role. However, not essential as we are central to public transport.
Job ID 15850
16014As well as knowing that what we do is making a positive difference to people’s lives, you will receive fair pay and have access to a wide range of rewards and benefits as one of our employees.
- 28 days holiday (including bank holidays) increasing to 35 days with long service plus the ability to buy up to another 10 days via our HolidayPlus scheme
- Service related sick pay when 6 month probation is completed
- Pension contributions into NEST Scheme on a salary sacrifice basis meaning NI savings
- Death in service life cover for a nominated beneficiary under our life assurance scheme
- Loans for debt consolidation,bikes, computers and phones when you have been with us for 6 months
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Discounts and cashback from 3% to 30% at high street shops including major super markets, cinemas, gyms, leisure/theme parks, holidays and much more via Mencapextras
- Opportunity to purchase a health cash plan to claim towards dental, glasses, therapy etc.
- Free access to round the clock employee assistance program for advice and support
- Quarterly award scheme and recognition at every 5 years through our YouRock program
- Access to award winning training and development
*T&C's apply based on contract