Senior Manager - Business Intelligence
We are looking for an innovative and motivated person with a passion for Business Intelligence within Technology to optimise the delivery of platforms and applications at Cancer Research UK and join us as Senior Manager, Business Intelligence.
We have a future facing approach to technology, having built multiple in-house software products including agile development of web applications and platforms with millions of users (supporters, patients, relatives & public, health professionals, researchers). Our Engineering department brings together software, cloud infrastructure, engineering platforms, quality assurance and BI development to maintain our place at the forefront of the fast-moving technology landscape. Ensuring that our data is a key asset for the organisation is a critical part of this project, we aim to embed DevOps and DataOps methods as we work to improve our data model and the self-service tools that we offer the organisation. We are also building our capability in data science and exploring the benefits of machine learning and AI.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, as Senior Manager Business Intelligence, you will guide CRUK's Business Intelligence Development team, consisting of a directly managed team of developers and experts, engineering the platforms and tools that make data a key asset for Cancer Research UK.
What will I be doing?
We are looking for a self-motivated person to...
- Lead the Business Intelligence development team; manage the resource to ensure optimal delivery and ensure the correct resource is in place to meet demand.
- Optimise the delivery of business intelligence platforms and applications, in terms of both throughput and quality, by promoting and embedding DevOps and DataOps tools and processes and agile delivery methods as appropriate.
- Continually improve the stability and resilience of our platforms by defining and advocating work packages to address technical debt and delivering those work packages once they have been accepted into the portfolio.
- Coach and develop staff; encourage learning and personal development; cross-skill staff across the technologies within the business intelligence stack to create a flexible resource pool with no single points of failure
Why this role?
Every step we make towards beating cancer relies on every pound, every hour and every person, and our technology staff work relentlessly every day towards this goal. Technology is being invested in like never before and is at the forefront of numerous charity wide projects, always innovating and moving with the market. You'll be steering all of our Business Intelligence workstreams and projects, being the go-to expert on the topic when needed.
What are we looking for?
- Extensive experience of leading and motivating a team of technical staff.
- Extensive experience of development and operation of different types of enterprise grade analytics solutions (data warehousing, data marts, OLAP cubes, self service analytics, data blending and visualisation, data mining, predictive analytics, data science platforms)
- Significant experience of different development methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, Scrum, Kanban).
- Familiarity with DevOps and DataOps tools and processes (CI/CD, Automated Testing, Automated Provisioning) and an understanding of their application to business intelligence platforms
- AI and Machine Learning knowledge advantageous
- An understanding of application architecture, solution architecture, and enterprise architecture and the value it can add to an organisation.
If this describes you, you can enjoy a great career with us as, together, we bring forward the day when all cancers are cured.
Please take a look at the full candidate pack here:
Base: Angel. London until October, then Stratford, London (however we also encourage flexible working, so would be open to conversations on what that looks like)
Applications will remain open until we find our successful candidate, so please do apply as soon as you can.