Arboriculturalist / Arboricultural Officer / Arborist
Job Title: Arboriculturalist
Salary: £20,344 - £21,589 per annum
Job type: Full time, Permanent (37 hours per week)
Closing Date: 21st July 2019
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Council's Arboricultural Team.
You will work as part of a team carrying out a complete range of tree maintenance work including pruning, felling and planting operations, using modern techniques.
They are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic individual, who holds relevant NPTC Certification and has experience at craft level.
- To be a part of a tree team, undertaking climbing and necessary ground work to ensure the efficient safe working practice to meet the arboricultural standards in accordance with BS3998 and other related British standards
- To be flexible in your approach to work and able to undertake other duties with relation to your grade, which may be required within the Arboricultural Section
- To ensure that current safe working practices are observed in accordance with statutory requirements and the Council's and Department's Health and Safety at Work policies
- To maintain and look after equipment to the required standard needed for safe working use in accordance with statutory requirements and the Council's and Department's Health and Safety at work policies
- To undertake regular routine checks on equipment to ensure safe use
- To comply with health and safety policy systems, report any incidents/accidents/ hazards and take a pro-active approach to health and safety matters in order to protect both yourself and others
- To be polite, courteous and informative to members of the public
- To undertake call out duties as required by the service and/or Call Out Manage
- Ensure that you work in line with all the Council's policies and procedures and ensure that you are aware of your obligations under these
- Behave according to the Employees' Code of Conduct and ensure that you are aware of your obligations and responsibilities re: conflicts of interest, gifts, hospitality and other matters covered by the Code
- Carry out your role in line with the Council's Equality agenda
- To comply with health and safety policies, organisational statements and procedures, report any incidents / accidents/ hazards and take a pro-active approach to health and safety matters in order to protect yourself and others
- Any other duties of a similar nature related to this post that may be required from time-to-time
- The Council and schools within the Borough are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment
- This post is deemed to be a 'Customer Facing' role in line with the definition of the Code of Practice on the English language requirement for public sector workers
- NPTC or equivalent tree climbing qualification
- Approximately one years' experience of working within a tree team as a climber at craft level
- Up to date knowledge of arboriculture good practice and experience of completing work to BS3998 standard
- An understanding of relevant Health & Safety at Work legislation
- Knowledge of and ability to identify tree species
- Ability to maintain equipment
- Ability to communicate orally to a wide range of audiences, including members of the public
- Ability to anticipate and evaluate potentially dangerous working conditions
- Ability to plan work with minimum supervision
- Ability to work successful as part of a team
- Ability to solve problems
- Self-motivated with an enthusiastic approach to work
- The successful applicant will be expected to wear the uniform provided
- Able to undertake call out duties as required, which would include out of hours/unsocial hours working
- The ability to communicate at ease with customers and provide advice in accurate spoken English
- 31 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Enhanced Maternity/Paternity and Adoption Leave Payments
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme in partnership with Halfords
- Access to Occupational Health, Physiotherapy and Counselling Services
- Reduced membership to the Dolphin Centre's 'Fit 4 Life' package
While you'll be based in the centre of Darlington you may, on occasion, be required to travel to locations across the Borough.
Please click on the APPLY button and CHECK YOUR EMAILS for the link to the Council's careers page.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Tree Surgeon, Arborist, Arboricultural Officer, Tree Maintenance, Garden Maintenance Officer, Ground Maintenance Operative, Gardener, Experienced Gardener, Maintenance, General Maintenance, Garden Designer, Landscape Gardener, Grounds, Gardener, Garden Maintenance, Grounds Maintenance, Landscaper, Tree Inspector, Tree Surveyor, Tree Cutter, Grounds Maintenance Operative, Gardener, Horticulturalist may also be considered for this role.