Local Democracy Reporter - London
We are recruiting a Local Democracy Reporter to MyLondon, the website delivering the best local journalism covering the whole of the capital.
You will be an enthusiastic and capable journalist with experience of working to tight deadlines alongside a shorthand proficiency of 100wpm. In addition, you will need to provide outstanding content in text, audio and video format and demonstrate a deep understanding of local government and a track record of delivering great ideas.
About the scheme:
The Local Democracy Reporting Service is designed to increase coverage and scrutiny of councils across the UK. Funded by the BBC and run by media publishers, reporters provide in-depth coverage of councils. Their stories which will feature on websites, newspapers and broadcasts across their region.
MyLondon is home to a team of Local Democracy Reporters covering issues from planning rows, permission for new skyscrapers, air quality, knife crime and the continuing consequences of the Grenfell tragedy.
The successful candidate will be covering Richmond upon Thames, Wandsworth and Kingston upon Thames councils, ensuring that decisions for these busy areas get the scrutiny and attention they deserve.
Based in the beating heart of the city, MyLondon is a fast-paced, fun and creative newsroom. We encourage our reporters to think outside the box and ensure they tell the stories about how local decisions and issues are made in an exciting and meaningful way - and we'll ensure you have access to the very latest digital, social media and multi-media skills to do this.
Stories produced by our LDR team at MyLondon have travelled far and wide, featured on regional news outlets, TV and radio bulletins as well as the BBC homepage. It's an incredible opportunity to get your stories and your name noticed across the industry.
- Delivering strong content on a daily basis, primarily focusing on text but also providing images, audio and video as and when required
- Creating engaging content which drives audience through SEO and social media awareness
- Ensuring all content is politically-neutral and balanced, providing a fair reflection of views
- Ensuring agendas for councils and public bodies are scrutinised, identifying issues and stories which need to be brought to the public's attention
- Delivering live content, providing two-way interviews for broadcast media
- Providing monthly report on key issues and themes from public authorities for stakeholder media organisations
- Ensuring that all matters, decisions and issues relating to the public authorities covered in the Local Democracy Reporter Scheme Editorial Brief are covered in a timely, impartial and audience-friendly way
The Ideal Candidate
A solid working knowledge of social media and the way it can be used to drive audience and engagement is important too. We are ideally seeking candidates qualified to senior standard or equivalent with two years experience but applications from trainees approaching senior qualifications will be considered.
In addition to competitive salaries, 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays), bonus structures (if applicable) and a contributory pension scheme, Reach plc have a wealth of flexible benefits on offer. These include holiday purchase scheme, childcare vouchers, cycle scheme, a technology scheme in conjunction with Curry's PC World, car scheme, health cash plan, employee loans and lots of high street discounts! Our business is fully committed to health and wellbeing in the workplace with an employee assistance programme and trained mental health first aiders across the business.
Reach plc believe diversity brings benefits for our customers, our business and our people. This is why we are committed to being an inclusive employer and encourage applications from all suitable applicants irrespective of background, circumstances, age, disability, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or belief and sexual orientation. We will be reviewing applications as they are received so please don't delay in submitting your application.
On submitting your application you should receive a confirmation email - if you do not please contact us at