Active Design Manager/Senior Urban Designer/Landscape Architect
Job Title: Active Design Manager
Location: Morley, Leeds
Salary: £31,060 - £35,414 pro rata (+ travel expenses and pension contribution)
Job Type: Part time, Perm
Their area is made up of nine metropolitan local authorities each with their own planning departments with Local Plan's and supporting evidence bases at various stages of development. In many of them their local partners have been successful in embedding physical activity within the Local Plans and ongoing communication is taking place.
They are therefore looking for someone who understands the planning system and can give advice on specific designs to ensure physical activity is embedded throughout.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
- To establish strong and ongoing relationships with land use and transport planners in local authorities
- To give expert support to planners on all matters related to physical activity, including technical support on the development of development briefs, design codes and masterplanning
- To promote active environments through the application of Active Design principles and other relevant Sport England / Public Health England guidance. To ensure, as far as possible, the principles are embedded within design codes for new developments and influence decision making processes
- To consider how access to the countryside and the delivery of green and blue infrastructure can be maximised to support physical activity, including improving the design of existing parks and open spaces where opportunities arise
- Ensure Local Plan Documents (including Neighbourhood Plans) and Supplementary Planning Documents (SPDs) documents maximise the opportunities for people to be physically active. Support other officers and partners to ensure that the physical environment contributes to wider strategic documents
- Where appropriate, support and influence developers to maximise the opportunities for physical activity, including critiquing and advising on masterplans at the earliest opportunity
- Where appropriate, supporting needs assessment work and evidence base for sport and physical activity and articulating what this means for individual developments
- To develop a relationship and support Leeds City Region and Sheffield City Region officers in designing and implementing policy and strategy on active travel, including Cycling and Walking Investment Plans
- To represent Yorkshire Sport Foundation on external bodies relevant to specific areas of work
- Where appropriate, to work with Sport England and other organisations to deliver training and networking events for physical activity and transport and planning professionals
- Support the development of Community Infrastructure policy and promote its use for investment into sport and physical activity
The ideal Candidate will have/ be:
- 3 years in planning and or urban design with experience in masterplanning, public realm or regeneration schemes
- Educated to degree level and eligible for election to corporate membership of Royal Town Planning Institute, Royal Institute of British Architects of other relevant professional organisation
- Experience of schemes that have had a strong focus on walking and cycling, mixed uses and the provision of green infrastructure
- Experience of developing and influencing design codes and developer plans
- Experience of leading or contributing to and influencing policy formation
- Experience of building relationships with external partners
- Experience of contributing to multi-disciplinary teams - planning, transport, leisure etc.
- Experience of addressing physical activity and or health within planning policy and implementation decisions
- Evidence of a commitment to on-going Continuing Professional Development and training
- Understanding and awareness of national, regional and local policies and strategies related to physical activity and sport
- Ability to forge strong relationships with a range of internal and external colleagues and organisations and be able to influence their work
- Experience of public speaking/delivery of information in a variety of settings to a wide range of groups and individuals
- Natural team worker who will create a positive and creative working environment
- A passion for sport and physical activity and a positive attitude towards the future opportunities in the area
- Commitment and dedication to 'go the extra mile' in order to deliver quality, sustainable work and achieve optimum outcomes
- Ability to achieve high quality outcomes within set deadlines
- Strong IT skills and the ability to use these in the most effective manner
- Knowledge of working with Microsoft Office Professional - inc. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Microsoft Outlook
- Ability to travel independently around West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire
Please click on the APPLY button and you will be redirected to the company's careers page to complete your application.
Any approach from employment agencies will result in deselection from future recruitment opportunities.
Candidates with the experience or relevant job titles of: Senior Planning Officer, Senior Development Officer, City Planner, Urban Planner, Planning Officer, Development Officer, Consultation Officer, Planner, Technical Planning Assistant, RTPI, Associate Urban Designer, Technical Services Officer, Development Planning Coordinator, Planning Technician, Planning Administrator, Planning Controller, Planning Consultant, Development Control Planner, Town and Country Planning, Town and Country Planner may also be considered for this role.