Waste & Recycling Officer
Waste & Recycling Officer
Do you have a background in environmental education, public engagement, behavioural change or marketing? Want to help a forward-thinking organisation drive their eco-friendly efforts as a Waste & Recycling Officer? If so, read on.
Three Rivers District Council is an ambitious and innovative local public sector organisation. Located in Rickmansworth, South Hertfordshire, we are just a train ride from central London and just outside the M25.
With a population of 86,000, our district combines the best of the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a thriving urban landscape with award-winning leisure facilities and great access to London Underground and Overground Stations.
The Council has a good track record of recycling, and we have the fourth highest recycling rate in the country. We want to build on this success and, as such, are looking for a Waste & Recycling Officer to join our team.
- Salary of £24,799 - £28,785 (excluding LW)
- Generous employer contribution pension scheme
- 28 days’ holiday (rising to 30 with service)
- Flexible working
- Free on-site parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted leisure centre membership
- Tax-efficient childcare vouchers
- Employee volunteering schemes
- Access to discounted activities and days out
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small, proactive team who are dedicated to delivering an excellent service and making a positive environmental impact.
You will have the chance to challenge and transform behaviours to waste management, contribute to county-wide campaigns and enhance your experience in events co-ordination and community engagement.
As a Waste & Recycling Officer, you will promote initiatives to reduce waste and maximise the amount that is reused and recycled.
In this varied role, you’ll raise awareness of environmental protection services, including waste prevention and reduction, reuse and recycling, as well as environmental crime, such as fly tipping. You’ll achieve this via a range of means, including social media, community events and school engagement.
Specifically, you will:
- Implement and maintain a full social media plan and update webpages regularly
- Produce literature, including leaflets, and write press releases
- Arrange and attend events
- Be an active officer in the Hertfordshire Waste Partnership’s WasteAware group
- Get involved with projects to increase recycling, reduce residual waste and increase public satisfaction
To join us as our Waste & Recycling Officer, you’ll need:
- Experience of working within an environmental education, public engagement or marketing role - Previous experience of effective partnership working
- The ability to produce clear, concise and well-presented literature and reports
- An understanding of current approaches to waste awareness campaigns
-The ability to effectively manage projects
- A full driving licence and access to your own vehicle
A degree level qualification in a relevant environmental field would be beneficial, as would knowledge of waste management and local government responsibilities in waste management.
Other organisations may call this role Recycling Officer, Recycling Engagement Officer, Environmental Education Officer, Recycling Awareness Officer, Recycling Co-ordinator or Recycling Campaign Officer.
We would also welcome applications from those with experience of: Social Media, Marketing, Advertising, Teaching, Education, PR and Public Relations.
The closing date for applications is the 29th July 2019. A basic DBS check will be carried out for this post.
Webrecruit and Three Rivers District Council are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next step as a Waste & Recycling Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37 hours per week