Head of Development Management
Head of Development Management
As the Head of Development Management, you’ll drive forward Watford Borough Council’s development agenda.
In this important role, you will oversee the Development Management function, which includes the Development Management Service, Land Charges and Building Control Teams. You’ll inspire staff to perform at their best, recruit new team members and identify opportunities to develop employees.
You’ll be responsible for all aspects of the control of development under the Town and Country Planning Acts and related legislation.
Some of your duties will involve:
- Working with the policy team to shape the Local Plan
- Negotiating planning and s106 solutions taking a proactive pro-growth approach
- Working with the Deputy Managing Director (Place Shaping) to prepare and implement a service plan
- Advising the Mayor and his key members on the Major Applications Review Forum
- Managing the Development Management budget
- Approving and preparing reports to be presented to the Development Control Committee
- Taking responsibility for budgets and resources
- Contributing to the senior leadership of the council
To join us as the Head of Development Management, you will need:
- Experience of working in development management within local government
- A proactive pro-growth outlook
- Previous experience of leading and managing a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience of presenting to committees
- A track record of interpreting planning policy and guidance and applying it consistently
- A degree in planning (or equivalent)
- To be eligible for membership of the RTPI
- Salary of up to £63,302 per annum
- Pension scheme with generous employer contribution
- Flexible working
- Career development opportunities
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Discounted leisure centre membership
- Employee volunteering schemes
- Access to a branded shopping discounts platform and discounted activities and days out
- 28 days’ holiday (rising to 33 with service)
This is a fantastic opportunity to take on a varied, exciting role offering the chance to make a real difference to our Council, as well as Watford as a whole.
We strive to be an employer of choice and our proud of our high staff satisfaction and motivation levels. As well as the above benefits, we offer an agile working environment with a flexible, family-friendly approach.
In Watford, we have an unprecedented opportunity to shape the town in a way that benefits our community for decades to come. We plan to create a bold and progressive future for our town. If you share our ambition and are eager to make your mark, we would love to hear from you.
Webrecruit and Watford Borough Council are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
To find out more about this role and for instructions on how to apply, please select the apply button shown to be taken to our dedicated site. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37 hours per week