- Full Time
We are Watford Borough Council, a Local Authority dedicated to making Watford a great place to live and work.
We’re now looking for two Property Surveyors to support our property portfolio and maximise value from our property assets.
- Salary of £42,549 - £46,495 per annum
- 28 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays, rising to 33 days with service
- A generous employer contribution pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Career development
- Season ticket loan
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Discounted leisure centre membership
- Employee volunteering schemes
- Access to Edenred benefits scheme
This is a rare opportunity for two Surveyors with RICS membership and property management experience to develop their career into the public sector and take responsibility for a significant portfolio.
The council has an extensive corporate portfolio including investment, operational, civic and community assets. You’ll have the chance to ensure that Watford Borough Council’s property portfolio delivers maximum value to the council and residents of Watford and is profitable and compliant with landlord regulations and expectations, whilst driving your career to the next level and consolidating and developing your broad skill-set.
Our approach is to create a bold, progressive future for Watford and, within our ambitious agenda, we include our people policy that is geared towards training and development alongside an exciting and engaging working environment.
You’ll find teams of talented people all working towards the same goal of delivering our corporate priorities, working as a team and operating in an innovative, welcoming manner.
As a Property Surveyor, you will be a key person in our Corporate Asset management team seeking to maximise the value from our property portfolio through a robust surveying programme and ensuring that our corporate landlord responsibilities are fulfilled.
Specifically, you will manage all aspects of the property portfolio including liaising with tenants to achieve the best outcomes on lease issues, asset management of the council’s buildings and providing expert estates advice. You will be responsible for rent reviews, lease renewals and leading negotiations for dilapidations, as well as undertaking routine valuations and instructing external valuers.
Additionally, your role will involve:
- Delivering best use for all assets
- Securing value for money
- Providing a high quality day-to-day asset management service for the council
- Preparing and managing plans for future property matters such as leases, disposals and service charges
- Supporting the Head of Corporate Asset Management to deliver a corporate landlord model for all council properties and assets
To be considered as a Property Surveyor, you will need:
- To be a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) or a similar professional body
- Significant previous experience in a surveying or property management role
- Experience of managing a property portfolio for a range of operational and non-operational assets
- Knowledge of corporate landlord and tenant work and general property law, rating and planning
- A good level of IT literacy
- A related degree (or equivalent qualification) in building surveying, property management or similar
An understanding of the political environment of Local Authorities would be beneficial to your application.
We are interested in a further conversation with you if you have held the role of Surveyor, Building Surveyor, Surveying Technician, Quantity Surveyor, Property Manager, Buildings Manager, or Property Portfolio Manager.
Closing date: 8 July 2019
Webrecruit and Watford Borough Council are equal opportunities employers, value diversity and are strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employees and all applicants for employment. Equal opportunities are the only acceptable way to conduct business and we believe that the more inclusive our environments are, the better our work will be.
So, if you’re seeking your next step as a Property Surveyor, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.