Senior Development Chemist - cosmetics / personal care
A manufacturer of personal care, toiletries and health supplements is currently recruiting for a Senior Development Chemist / Head of Technical to take charge of managing a small team and development of their products.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced chemist to take their first steps in to management or for an existing senior development to make an impact within a smaller company.
- To lead in the formulation of cosmetic products such as creams, lotions, shampoos, conditioners, shower gels, body scrubs, and fragrances for a wide variety of customers.
- To carry out research into raw materials, both current and new, that can be incorporated into products.
- To maintain an awareness of costs of raw materials and their subsequent impact on the finished products in relation to agreed price constraints for the product range and their impact on the profitability of the company.
- To prepare the required methods of manufacture for all Personal Care products developed and manufactured by the company.
- To train company operatives specifically responsible for the manufacture of products on both small and large scale production batches as required.
- To participate in the development of training programmes for company staff responsible for the manufacture of Personal Care products.
- To provide technical support to the production area during both trials and regular production runs.
- To support the sales team in customer meetings and provide a technical resource to advise on proposed briefs and also to suggest new ideas and concepts.
- To ensure the timely preparation, and issue, of customer samples.
- To ensure that laboratory staff correctly maintain the stock of raw materials required to provide prompt and effective samples.
- To regularly meet with the representatives of raw material suppliers and ensure that he/she is fully aware of current industry developments and innovations.
- To ensure that the Sales Team are kept aware of new opportunities and developments in the raw material market and how these may be utilised by the company.
- To work with the Sales Team to develop and maintain a range of 'stock' items that are available for selection by both existing and potential customers.
- To ensure that direct reports receive suitable training and have a structured development plan at all times including personal targets and KPIs.
- To ensure that direct reports receive regular reviews and a yearly appraisal in line with the Company's Appraisal Scheme.
- To work closely with the Directors to build and develop the Technical Department (Personal Care) to ensure that it is able to meet both the current and future needs and requirements of the company.
- To ensure that the Technical Department maintains an accurate Product Development Database for in-house formulated products
Knowledge, experience and skills:
- BSc or higher in chemistry, cosmetics science or similar
- SCS diploma highly advantageous
- Experience as a development chemist, ideally at senior level or with some supervisory/managerial experience
- Experience in the cosmetics, personal care or toiletries industries