We have an exceptional opportunity for an Operations Manager to work closely with the General Manager (not based at the property) to realise the aims and ambitions for the property. You will lead on the day to day operation of the property, including commercial, visitor welcome and gardening teams. We need you to bring your experience from the varied life of a visitor focused operation which will be invaluable driving the business forward at Overbeck's and creating an exceptional visitor experience.
What it's like to work here
Overbeck's is a hidden paradise tucked away on the cliffs above Salcombe.
A Listed subtropical garden, bursting with colour, filled with exotic and rare plants and surprises round every corner, surrounds the seaside home of scientist and inventor Otto Overbeck. The views from the garden over the estuary and coast are truly breathtaking. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who has real drive and ambition, joining our small friendly team to make a difference
The property has a rural location, so it's likely you will require your own transport to get here.
What you'll be doing
As the Operations Manager for Overbeck's, you'll be accountable for the day-to-day operational performance of the property, our visitor experience and commercial operations. As line manager for our Gardens and Visitor Experience teams, you will work with them to ensure exceptional standards presentation, customer service, visitor engagement and interpretation are delivered across the property so our visitors keep coming back for more. Also Line managing our commercial teams, you will use your commercial acumen to inspire them to develop and maximise their potential, looking for new opportunities to improve way of working and our offer.
Please note: This post will involve regular weekend, bank holiday working and has duty management responsibilities.
Who we're looking for
This job is about providing a service. To be fantastic in this role, you'll need to have the following;
- A thorough understanding of a visitor business and what it takes to be commercially successful
- Excellent understanding of customer service standards and how to inspire teams to deliver these consistently
- Knowledge of management of staff and resources
- Good knowledge of Health and Safety requirements
- Experience in day-to-day operational management
- A successful record of managing a customer-facing team including performance management, team building and coaching
- Demonstrable experience of innovative supporter engagement and high levels of customer care
- Experience of managing operating budgets; circa GBP100k excluding wages
- Experience of working with and / or leading commercial, visitor facing teams and volunteers
- Used to working with stakeholders and local communities
- Being a great communicator who can work collaboratively
Benefits include flexible working whenever possible plus free parking at most locations. You'll be entitled to discounts in high street stores and cinemas, National Trust shops and NT cafes, and have free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18).
Your health and wellbeing is important to us and is supported through generous annual leave and the option to buy additional days (minimum contract length applies), a cycle to work scheme, subsidised health cash plan and confidential access to a free support service 24 hours a day should you need it.
Your future financial health is helped by an employer matched - up to 10% of basic salary - contributory pension scheme and you can further your career with training and development tailored to you.
All of this and the opportunity to give something back to your community with up to 5 days of paid volunteering per year!